Chrysler 9.9 will not stay running

cheiderman

Recruit
I have a 1982 Chrysler 9.9 outboard that will not stay running at idle/low speed unless you keep squeezing the primer. I have replaced all the fuel lines, primer bulb and fuel pump/diaphragm. In addition i have taken the card apart and cleaned it. The one area I'm not sure if the gas cap on the external tank. The gas cap is old and is missing the top so the there is a small hole. I went to replace the cap but all they sell are the new ventless caps due to the emission regulations. I was hesitant to put that cap on in fear of having vapor lock. Any suggestions would be appricate it.

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: Chrysler 9.9 will not stay running

cheiderman, Real Help Is on the Way!! Meanwhile:

1. How does the motor run above idle, as higher speeds with the old cap?

2. I feel the new cap looks not vented, otherwise what keeps it from creating a vacuum and starve fuel?

3. IMO if you have done all mentioned and well, all I visualize is more carb cleaning and fine tuning.

4. BUT! It sounds as if you are Sucking Air at a connection possibly loose, bad brand, O-Ring Etc..

5. Try adding some pressure toward closing quick coupling tighter,look for play,leaks and good O-Rings.

Good Luck!

cheiderman

Recruit

cheiderman, Real Help Is on the Way!! Meanwhile:

1. How does the motor run above idle, as higher speeds with the old cap?

2. I feel the new cap looks not vented, otherwise what keeps it from creating a vacuum and starve fuel?

3. IMO if you have done all mentioned and well, all I visualize is more carb cleaning and fine tuning.

4. BUT! It sounds as if you are Sucking Air at a connection possibly loose, bad brand, O-Ring Etc..

5. Try adding some pressure toward closing quick coupling tighter,look for play,leaks and good O-Rings.

Good Luck!

The motor runs very well above idle. I will take your advice and look for air leaks.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The carb.In the bottomof the body is a part "nozzle" it gets clogged.There are small holes in it.Make sure they are open.