What are these pulleys for

spacemanpete

Seaman Apprentice
I'm trying to figure out what the two small pulleys on either side of the cabin in the bow of the hull are for. They are right above holes about 4 inches in diameter, and would fit a rope no more than about a quarter inch thick . . .<br /><br />Thanks for your input.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: What are these pulleys for

Reminants of an old cable & pulley steering maybe? My only guess..

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I'm with Snapperbait. Are there holes on each side of the outboard in the splashwell? If so, you may see identical pulleys back there at the transom on each side, up under the deck.

spacemanpete

Seaman Apprentice

Hey, thanks for the reply. No there isn't anything in back -- a little more detail: this is a 26" steel hull river cruiser. inboard motor, no splashwell, no holes or pulleys in the transom. . .

rjarreau

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Those holes are for the older type river anchors . they hung from the side of the boat by a bracket and had a pulley, and had a rope that went in the hull through the little holes you see.

spacemanpete

Seaman Apprentice

huh. that seems to make sense -- I thought about anchors, but it just seems like such an odd place for them, especially since one would have to go inside to the front of the cabin to release them. Anyhow, thanks for the info.