Unknown Cable Identification Please?

sashko1

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

Today bought this E6SLCUD Evinrude Yachtwin 6HP outboard at a flea market. Brought it home. Put in the barrel and she fired up after several pulls! That made my day I must say, even though my wife still wasn't too impressed (a.k.a. happy).

Anyway, there are these two wires coming off the lower cowling at front next to the pull cord opening. They are cut. I have no idea what those are supposed to be connected to?????

Please let me know what those are if you know? Please?

Attaching some pictures of those wires.cable1.jpgcable2.jpg

Oh, and also, what do those images on the Choke lever mean if someone could explain please?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Unknown Cable Identification Please?

WOW that's a good one. Maybe it is for a kill switch? You could get the model number of your new (old) engine and search this website for your engine and look at the parts for it and find out. Just an idea... But nice that it at least cranks and runs... It doesn't have a starter by any chance does it? :confused:

kbait

Commander

It's an 87 by model number. Looks like the wires are for a 12v charging circuit? The 's' in your model number may denote this, but not stated here: http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/evinrude/models_1980-present.gif

Hook up your multimeter set to Volts to the wires, fire it up at high idle and see if it says 12+ volts.. then you'll know for sure. NICE option.. kinda rare on a 6hp, if that's what it is. Kill circuit is normally 2 black wires..

sashko1

Seaman Apprentice

No,
It doesn't have a starter.

Out of the two wires, the black wire goes to the chassis and the other (red) goes to the bottom screw on the connection strip.

sashko1

Seaman Apprentice

Wow! I hope that's what it is - charging circuit. That would be nice!
I will check it tonight. Just need to buyaa meter...

By the way, is this a good and reliable motor?
I paid $200 for it and expect it to serve me well. The guy that sold it to me was a pawn shop owner and said that they had tested the motor and it ran fine. I didn't believe it because the motor had a layer of dust probably from sitting in the garage for a good year.

Oh , also I found a small plastic connector that is connected to a rubber line tjat goes off the engine. This plastic piece goes through the openning on the lower cowling towards the back corner. It appears to be maybe a telltale for cooling water ? But there was no stream of water coming out of it when the motor was running.

Thank you.

sashko1

Seaman Apprentice

Ok. Updates. I bought a multimeter and checked voltage at those two wires. Yhe voltage readings were increasing with higher RPMs of the motor. Is it supposed to be that way?

Another question... The motor smokes a bit and hesitates somewhat when I try to give it more throttle from the start position. It feels like it operates on one cylinder only but then out of sudden it picks up rpm and runs greatly.
I borrowed a compression test guage and it was about 90 on both cylinders.
Now a question... is it possible that it works with some hesitation because I use a 40:1 gas to oil mix? I had some from my lawnmower leftovers. Btw, the spark plugs look wet when I take them out of the cylinder block.
Any help and support is much appreciated.
Thank you.