Transom replacement on 1978 Alumacaft

ch435

Recruit
Hi All, new here and I have a question. I just bought a 1978 Alumacraft 14' fishing boat. It's an all aluminum boat. The transom has a 3/4" piece of wood in the inside and outside. My question pertains to the type of wood to use. I've seen so many opinions on this subject from "make sure to use pressure treated" to "make sure you avoid pressure treated." This is just a simple boat rated for up to 35 hp motor, currently equipped with a 15 hp. I'd rather not invest in marine grade as I only paid $1,000 for the boat, motor and trailer. What type of wood should I use to avoid the pitting of aluminum and the rotting of the wood?

Thanks

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Transom replacement on 1978 Alumacaft

marine plywood is the only plywood I would use in the transom. very strong and void of knots. worth the investment. seal it with some kind of sealer. I would not use pressure treated it reacts with aluminum and is garbage plywood that they treat with cemicals.

64osby

Admiral

Absolutely no pressure treated. Marine ply is the best but the most expensive. Many here use outdoor rated ply, just make sure it has water resistant/ proof glue. The other aspect of this is to make sure you seal it. Fiberglass resin with cloth, epoxy resin and then paint, spar varnish or oil based porch paint. That is the order of best finish and the most expensive to the least. Also be sure to use stainless hardware for replacement bolts.

ch435

Recruit

Thanks for the tips! I take it there is a reason people don't use a 1 x 10 board instead of plywood? I will look into the outdoor rated plywood. I've already ruled out marine plywood due to cost. This is a $300 boat. Marine plywood would not make sense.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Reason for plywood is due to the mulitple plys it tends to be stronger and resists warping. Not to say you can't use dimensional Fir lumber because a lot of people do, but most use the plywood for the reasons stated.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

"Exterior Grade" is what you will find and that is what you want,.......

The plywood is stronger than the 1x10,.................That is why a 1x10 is not used,............

ch435

Recruit

Thanks for the great info and quick replies. I'm really impressed with the knowledge and responsiveness on this site! :joyous: