Motor runs rough at low rpm and idle

diamondback21

Seaman Apprentice
I have 1979 Johnson 35 HP motor that runs really rough at idle when in the water or hooked to a water hose. It will idle fine and no sputtering or back fire with no water going through it but as soon as i hook up the water or put it in the lake it idles rough and is hard to stay running. it runs good at wot but still skips every 10 seconds or so. any help is appreciated

diamondback21

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Motor runs rough at low rpm and idle

The motor has new power pack, coils and carb has been rebuilt. compression is 90 on both cylinders and spark jumps 7/16" bulb pumps good and stays hard. fuel is fresh. like i said it only idles rough and sputters and backfires when water is pumping through it. makes me this water is getting in the cylinders

FishinDave

Seaman Apprentice

My first thought was the same as what you said and then i thought if there was a crack in one of the cylinder walls, you would have a compression leak and you would not have the same compression in both cylinders. 90psi is a little low. Perfect compression for that motor is 110-120psi. Make sure when you do a compression test that you remove both spark plugs at the same time so there is no compression on one cylinder while your testing the other. There is a product out called ceramizer that restores compression(you can google it to learn more). Your spark is good but you might want to try a hotter plug to see if that helps. Ok last test = For starters allow water to pump through the engine while doing this. If you do not have electric start, you can use an electric drill with an adapter for using sockets. Take out both spark plugs and have a container so you can catch the fuel from both cylinders in it. Turn the motor over( if you use a drill with a socket attachment, get the right socket that you need and you can turn the motor over by putting the drill and socket on the flywheel nut and using the drill to turn the flywheel. While doing this catch as much fuel from both cylinders as possible(remember to have ears on your motor or your motor in a barrel of water while doing all this)and pour the fuel in a see through container. Let it sit for an hour and then see if you have water in the fuel. This will tell you if you are getting water in your cylinders. Good luck

diamondback21

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply FishinDave. I'll try those out tomorrow.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Top plug has oil on the plug. Bottom plug no oil and has a grayish color on it. Maybe a bad head gasket?

Yep, remove it and have a look at gasket and cylinder and head. The gaskets arent expensive ($15) and are are good maintenance item to do too. Failing that it could be coming from the exhaust jacket

Take off the waterjacket and clean in there and check the thermostat too. Also back flush the water ports

diamondback21

Seaman Apprentice

Any got the torque specs for the head, water jacket and exhaust jacket?

diamondback21

Seaman Apprentice

Ok I check compression again with plugs out and 1 pull of the starter rope I get 90psi on both cylinders

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Ive had water leak into a cylinder with 100psi.
I found out by taking the LU off and putting the hose on the inlet pipe, the piston was placed near the beginning of the compression stroke blocking off the ports, water was soon coming out the sparkplug hole

diamondback21

Seaman Apprentice

pull a few times, until the guage stops going up.
That's even better. I get 120psi on both cylinders. They both seem to be holding pressure so I started with the exhaust jacket. I believe that's where the water is coming in as I noticed 2 bolts on the right side with watery oil on them. Also noticed a broken bolt in the block. Any ideas on how I can get it out? It's on the bottom where it's tough to get to

diamondback21

Seaman Apprentice

Pulled the head off. I think I see where water was leaking at the bottom. Gonna change the exhaust and water jacket gaskets. Thermostat and head gasket just to be sure. I'm having a heck of a time getting that broken exhaust jacket bolt out. Any ideas? Eze out isn't working very well. Grrrr

Bosunsmate

Admiral

You could pull the head and then drill it out or just drill through the lower cowling and then use a left handed drill bit which will hopefully back it out as it digs in.
Seized bolts i find are the worst part of outboard maintenance even worse than salt living bearing carriers.
Touch the cowling back up later with epoxy putty

diamondback21

Seaman Apprentice

got head gasket on and torqued to 240 in lbs. new exhaust gaskets. still having a problem. i checked the cylinders for cracks. the best i can tell i didnt see any. when i hook up the muffs and start the motor, i let it idle to get up to temp then the thermostat opens then shortly after water comes out of the 2 exhaust holes up by the pee hole. ive re-torqued the head and tightened the exhaust plate several times and still getting water. im lost and dont know what else to do