What to look for on a Wellcraft V20

jrod511

Cadet
Hi all - I am going to go look at a 1984 Wellcraft V20 Cuddy Cabin. What are specific trouble areas I should look for on these boats? Are the transoms/floors known to go bad? Any thing I should know regarding the fuel tank specifically? Anything really good, bad, or ugly to know on these boats?

Boat has a 1996 Evinrude 175 Ocean Pro. These are NOT the Ficht motors, right? I have heard too many horror stories of boats with Ficht motors and plain and simple will not buy that motor, but I am reasonably certain the Ocean Pro is an older model.

Well, the owner tells me it is a 21' V20. I asked if he meant V21 and he said V20. Will anything in the HIN give it away or any specific detail to look at to notice?

thanks

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: What to look for on a Wellcraft V20

Keep in mind that you are looking at a boat that is almost 30 years old. So, all bets are off in terms of typical problems related to the brand and model. It is more an issue of the care that has been given over the 30 years.

Transom and stringers are definitely the things to check. See if you can determine if the fuel tank has been replaced at some point as 30 years is borrowed time, if it is an aluminum tank.

I'll let others comment on the engine.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Re: What to look for on a Wellcraft V20

96 was before the ficht engines. It's a 60 degree looper v6. Good motor if it has been maintained.

Big Keepers

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just saw this post after creating my own thread. Ha, I even searched for the same kind of boat, not sure why I don't remember reading this one. I'm gonna keep tabs on this thread as I have no idea what year my Wellcraft is that I have an eye on.