spraying bottom

gbf03

Cadet
I am beginning the restoration process on my 20 seacraft , I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to spray the bottom with gelcoat? Should I rent a wrecker and have it flipped over, if so how do I do it without any damage or should I jack it up as high as possible and paint it in sections while laying on my back? <br />Thanks,<br />George

D

DJ

Re: spraying bottom

Turning it over would make it MUCH easier. Yet, that's a lotta boat to flip.<br /><br />Either way, wear VERY good breathing gear when working with that stuff.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Might contact a boat yard that has a Travel-lift.. They may be able to flip it over for you..<br /><br />Take it to the yard on the trailer, flip it, set back down on the trailer with blocks for support..

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Be sure and visit classicseacraft.com if you havent already!!

Maximerc

Petty Officer 1st Class

put boat in water... remove plug .... when half full it will roll over very easy. :D

gbf03

Cadet

stauter99 <br />I am already a member at classicseacraft and classicmako. Just tring to get as much as info as possible.<br />Thanks,<br />George

stauter99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would definently roll it over. I had a friend with a backhoe come over when I repainted my 16' BW nauset. First we lifted it off the tralier onto the ground. Then attached straps to one side and pulled it up onto its side, then we slowly let it down using the backhoe and ourselfs. We let it rest on tires. Also when it was resting upright on its side, there were tires for it to rest on. No damage whatsoever. <br /><br />Sonny

Homerr

Commander

I have a 26ft. project that I will need to do the bottom too.<br /><br />I plan to use my engine stand (big 12ft tall) and lift one end of the boat off the trailer... (Secure the trailer so it doesn't move of course) Paint as far as I can, and then repeat for the other end.<br /><br />I also entertained the thought of making another 12 ft. stand so I can lift the whole thing off the trailer... A poor mans dry-dock as it were...<br />A few 4x4's and a 4 ton Harbor Freight chain hoist makes a cheap and easy boat lift.<br />All total, I may have $100 in a stand (including the hoist I got on sale)<br /><br />Obviously flipping a 26ft flybridge is out of the question. At least doing it half-and-half keeps the trailer underneath for safety.<br /><br />H.