Penn battle vs star aerial combos

fireboat46

Cadet
Hi everyone, I've been in the market for a few new spinners for some inshore fishing and I have been really into the Penn Battle line, then went to west marine the other day and came across the star aerial spinning combos. They look exactly as the penn battle combos, my question is if anyone has ever given these combos a try and have any feedback, I know that star aerial makes great rods but never really hear about their reels. Any suggestions???

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Penn battle vs star aerial combos

They look exactly as the penn battle combos, my question is if anyone has ever given these combos a try and have any feedback, I know that star aerial makes great rods but never really hear about their reels.

Ask to see the parts list and the warranty information for the Star spinner. Chances are they can’t provide either. What does that tell you? Where are you going to purchase a replacement for the bail spring that popped off last trip?

What makes the Star Aerial such a great rod? The quality of the components they use? The quality of the blank? The workmanship? What is their best attribute? Why should I buy one?

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have some star rods that are twenty years old and used all the time. No problems. Cant say anything about the reels.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I have some star rods that are twenty years old and used all the time. No problems. Cant say anything about the reels.
Careful comparing old to new and "improved"....of anything ;)

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have had good experience with star rods new and old, the reels im not sure about. Personally for inshore spinning gear i like shimano reels, the baitrunners are handy for a lot of situations, and the stradics are so nice and smooth, and both hold up well in the salt environment if you take care of them.

angus63

Captain

I use Penn Fierce and I feel they are a durable good value for the cost. I also use Shimano Sienna series for the same reason. I don't see a big increase in performance or durability with reels that cost more than these. I use mine 3-4x/wk in salt water and they last with minimal maintenance. I haven't used star products and not familiar with them in the NY area.