Hard Top vs Soft Top

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class
Currently I have an aluminum hard top on my pontoon that?s about 10 feet long starting at the rear. It has four stand legs holding it up and it will fold down to the front for travel. If I keep it I?ll have to re-cover it because it?s bare metal now and doesn?t look good. We like the top for functionality but the down side is there?s nothing you can do with it on the lake except leave it up and it catches some wind. (and it just looks old).

I would have replaced it with a bimini top already but my boat has side doors about four feet from the back which the frame will block. I wanted to have at least one long 11/4 inch square tube made that goes to the deck but all of the custom shop prices are way too high and very few can bend 11/4 inch square tubing.

My questions are:

Is there a square tubing bender that will do 1/14 inch in a tight bend? At the prices of the custom shops I wouldn?t mind spending a few hundred dollars for a good bender but I don?t know where to get one. From there, what is the best for the fabric for a ten foot top?

How is the structure of the bimini tops when you?re running 30-35 mph and/or a head wind across the lake? Do they flop around or can you secure them?

What is the speed difference between up and down? I feel like my metal top has a lot of drag but I?ve never tried it without it on.

I want to put a bimini on it but it needs to be sturdy while I am running. If I can get two of the square bows to the deck it will clear most of the rear doors and give me strength, but they would have to be custom built.

junkman41

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Hard Top vs Soft Top

MaPaHa, where are you located? if you take your hardtop off, I could use the supports for the top. send me a picture if you can.
thanks Jack

MaPaHa

Petty Officer 1st Class

Located in central Arkansas. I've got another pontoon so I would probably keep the old top in case I ever build it.

I'm just about convinced to go with the bimini but I dont want it flopping around when it gets up to speed. I'm going to keep modifing untill I hit 35 mph so I want a top that will withstand that in a wind.

Will they survive?

The Rooster

Ensign

Located in central Arkansas. I've got another pontoon so I would probably keep the old top in case I ever build it.

I'm just about convinced to go with the bimini but I dont want it flopping around when it gets up to speed. I'm going to keep modifing untill I hit 35 mph so I want a top that will withstand that in a wind.

Will they survive?

It's not recommended, but I've run 48 - 49 mph w/ both my tops up and had no problems. Good luck !!!