flatbed trailer for pontoon boat?

Svsv

Recruit
I am contemplating buying a 20' pontoon boat kit (deck, logs). Really need to go low budget here. I know ideal is to have a custom made aluminum trailer for the eventual finished pontoon boat, but little time or money for that. Next best is find a used trailer for a 20' pontoon boat on Craigslist. Not likely. Next in line is a used flatbed trailer, which are definitely on Craigslist. I am wondering, couldn't a person launch a pontoon on and off a flat bed trailer? Having never owned a toon, maybe i'm missing something here. But it seems you could attach some carpeted bunks, maybe even some rollers as well. A winch at the front? If the trailer is down in the water far enough, couldn't you simply line up and get the pontoon nearly to the winch, hitch up, slowly pull the trailer out and voila' the pontoon nicely rests on top? Maybe I'm dreaming. But seriously considering this. I don't plan on doing any real long hauls w trailer, but need to be able to get boat out of water each use. thanks!

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: flatbed trailer for pontoon boat?

The concept is sound.

The issues may be in finding a flatbed trailer that is 8 feet wide.
And the height of a general purpose utility flat bed may put the Toon way up in the air.

Choose carefully!

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I would think that by the time you did locate an appropriate sized flatbed trailer and then did the needed modifications to be both secure AND safe, (and I might add legal) you might would have as much in it as a pontoon trailer that was made for your boat. Some times you can be penny-wise and pound-foolish...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

fenders will be a problem... most toon trailers have the tires inside the toons...

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

fenders will be a problem... most toon trailers have the tires inside the toons...

depends... Yard/scissor trailers run the tires inside the tubes. Makes for a narrow and tippy trailer. Road trailers run small (8.5's) tires under the tubes. Much more stable, but also much higher up. Its been a long time since I've seen a new pontoon on a scissor trailer, they are almost almost exclusively road trailers now.

In any case, a flatbed won't work will without EXTENSIVE modification. The tubes will end up right on the tires, so you need to build up lots of bunking to raise the entire thing up. If you find a good flatbed, good with a welder, and have access to lots of good metal, you can obviously make one like the pic below. Don't think you are going to save much in the long run though.

Scissor Trailer and road trailer

WFB224.jpg

pontoon.jpg