1976 Evinrude 55hp will not idle

TLewis

Cadet
I'm having a hard time with getting my 76 Evinrude to idle. I posted yesterday under a different subject but got no response and made a little progress since then.

For the ignition, I replaced the stator, both coils, the power pack, and plugs. The plugs are gapped at 0.03" and the timing set at 3deg but I had to give it a little bit throttle (~1200RPM) to keep it running. I had the advance linkage disconnected to do this.

For the fuel system, I rebuilt both carbs using new floats and needle valves. I tried to make sure all the ports were clean by blowing compressed air the them the best I could. I also changed fuel pump and the low speed needles used to set the idle.

No matter what I do it seems that engine does not want to run below ~1100rmp. At at that speed I hear the engine surging periodically. When I try to rev it, it just sounds a little rough like it's missing.

Is it possible that some of the smaller ports in the carbs are still clogged? Maybe the power pack is weak? Vacuum leak? I'm out of ideas :facepalm:

I need to stop bleeding money somehow. Kids gotta eat.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Any help would be very appreciated.

FishinDave

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1976 Evinrude 55hp will not idle

I would clean out every port you can on the carbs(It doesn't hurt to over clean it). Next i recommend you getting you a manual and/or google Syncing you carbs. If you can not find any information on it, I will try to walk you through it but its going to be difficult to explain. If you lived in Virginia, I would do it for you.

91 Sprint

Cadet
Re: 1976 Evinrude 55hp will not idle

Check the small stuff first like air leaks, check valves, vac lines. and they always run different on the water
hose. Good Luck!