Help needed with '69 Speedliner shift cable

JF660R

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I have an old '69 Speedliner with a straight 6. Last trip out was an all day event trying to get it back into the fwd gear and back to the trailer. From what I've read I need to replace the shift cable. I'm looking for some guidance on ordering the correct part.

photo-8.jpg

photo-9.jpg

photo-12.jpg

photo-11.jpg

photo-10.jpg

And it looks like that serial # is 2462027. Any help is appreciated, just need to get the correct cable ordered and hopefully at a decent price.
Thanks

JF660R

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Help needed with '69 Speedliner shift cable

Ok, so far I've found part # 73723A01 , and it's $155 from here: OEM Parts

Looking for some reassurance before ordering, as it's likely a matter of opinion whether or not this boats worth $155. The engine really runs well when the points have been freshly replaced. But the rest of the boat is pretty rough. It's really one expensive repair away from retirement. But, it beats fishing from the shore if I can just get it in gear!
Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Explain the difficulty. When was it serviced/drive removed last?
for actual cable replacement use the newest aft entry one
18-2600 or 18-2603 will work ,you will need the straight tap for installation.

JF660R

Seaman Apprentice

Explain the difficulty. When was it serviced/drive removed last?
for actual cable replacement use the newest aft entry one
18-2600 or 18-2603 will work ,you will need the straight tap for installation.

Last service is unknown. It belonged to a friend of mine. Worked well he be bought it, which has now been probably 12-13 years ago. He let it sit, and the interior rotted out. He gave it to me and I replaced the floor, the prop, the points & condensor, the fuel pump, and cleaned out the carb. This is my first boat but I am a decent auto mechanic. I took it out for its first run in several years a while back, and shes still pretty fast.

But once we stopped it did not want to lock into fwd again. We were pretty stranded and neither of us have any boat wrenching experience. So I worked the shift/throttle while he messed with the cable adjustment. We eventually found reverse and then finally fwd.

Honestly I haven't really inspected it since. All that I have read seems to say that shift cable failure is pretty common due to the proximity to the exhaust. Open to direction and I would like to find a manual to help me fix this.

JF660R

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I've found a few eBay options.
18-2600:
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=360503693007&index=3&nav=SEARCH&nid=46802561695

73723A01:
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=140813758783&index=14&nav=WATCHING&nid=94166055284

And I found a 18-2603 but the description seems like it's for a newer model?
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=360498975202&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=48293311802

Some look like "kits" and some look like cable only....and should there be any reference to length, or are they all the same?

Bondo

Staff member

Some look like "kits" and some look like cable only....and should there be any reference to length, or are they all the same?

Ayuh,.... Ya need the whole Kit, as a direct replacement ain't available for yer Old drive,...
Ya gotta Up-date it the the aft entry cable as Bt Doc says...

The forward entry cables like yer original are NLA...

JF660R

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,.... Ya need the whole Kit, as a direct replacement ain't available for yer Old drive,...
Ya gotta Up-date it the the aft entry cable as Bt Doc says...

The forward entry cables like yer original are NLA...
Ok, so retro fitting a newer style cable is required. So, the 18-2603 link I posted is probably the way to go?

And where should I get the required straight tap?
Thanks for the help.

Bondo

Staff member

Ok, so retro fitting a newer style cable is required. So, the 18-2603 link I posted is probably the way to go?

And where should I get the required straight tap?
Thanks for the help.

Ayuh,.... google 7/16" straight pipe thread tap,...

Grainger, or McMaster Carr maybe,... yer local industrial tool supply house,..??

JF660R

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, so I think I'll pull the trigger on the 18-2603 here:
New Shift Cable Kit Replaces Mercury 865436A02 865436A03 Sie 18 2603 | eBay

Kit image:
042bf395.jpg

ITEM DESCRIPTION
NEW Shift Cable Kit Replaces Mercury 865436A03 SIE 18-2603 GLM 21450 Mallory 9-72100
For MC-1, R, MR, Alpha One and Gen II (1987-up).

Kit Components
■Shift cable
■Bellow
■Bellow clip
■Wrapping
■Insert
■Slide
■Guide
■Set screws
■Anchor
■Mounting Gasket Set
■Hose Clamp

And, I wont be nervous about the 87-up part...since I guess this must be a common retrofit. If anyone else even bothers working on a 44yr old boat :facepalm:

I have a good sized tap and die set but I don't think any of mine are straight pipe thread, only tapered....so I'll get one of those tracked down.

So, what would be the best manual/guide/how to I could get a hold of?
Thanks again.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

wrench 3

Commander

The genuine Merc service manual...

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1TAvwZ3TjhfZTgyNWM4MjQtOTdhOS00ODEyLTk1OGEtOGIwOGYwNzAwNGEz

Your original part# was -49518A1, which supersedes to -73723A01....
That kit in the picture above, is NOT the right kit.....
However THIS ONE is....

That cable is a PITA to install and needs a special tool. The newer cable works great if you tap the aft end of the hole. Get the cable kit first and check the thread against your tap and die kit. A tapered tap works OK if your real careful how deep you go.
If you can get the original Sierra 18-2603, it comes with the correct bell housing gasket for your drive.
If the drive hasn't been serviced for 12-13 years, take a real close look at the remaining bellows. And if I were you, I'd replace the water pump impeller in the out drive.

You didn't mention any thing about the engine stalling, witch is a normal symptom of a rear shift cable. Disconnect the rear cable at the engine, and see if the rest of the system works freely.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

.... A tapered tap works OK ....

:facepalm: Obviously not reading the genuine manual... And even if YOU did it and got away with it, it's not something you should be recommending to anyone else.

attachment.php

Attachments

• straight tap.jpg
    straight tap.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 0

JF660R

Seaman Apprentice

That cable is a PITA to install and needs a special tool. The newer cable works great if you tap the aft end of the hole. Get the cable kit first and check the thread against your tap and die kit. A tapered tap works OK if your real careful how deep you go.
If you can get the original Sierra 18-2603, it comes with the correct bell housing gasket for your drive.

Is this not the 18-2603? New Shift Cable Kit Replaces Mercury 865436A02 865436A03 Sie 18 2603 | eBay

Is this one better? Sierra Mercruiser Lower Shift Cable Kit Extreme 18 2603E | eBay

You didn't mention any thing about the engine stalling, witch is a normal symptom of a rear shift cable. Disconnect the rear cable at the engine, and see if the rest of the system works freely.

Now that you say that I do recall it stalling, thats why he was messing with the cable and I was trying to throttle it / engage it without stalling the motor....didn't realize the shift cable was the cause of both issues.....the throttle cable seemed to work ok :confused:

Ayuh,.... google 7/16" straight pipe thread tap,...

Grainger, or McMaster Carr maybe,... yer local industrial tool supply house,..??

:facepalm: Obviously not reading the genuine manual... And even if YOU did it and got away with it, it's not something you should be recommending to anyone else.

attachment.php

Wait, what tap do I need?

Bondo

Staff member

Is this not the 18-2603? New Shift Cable Kit Replaces Mercury 865436A02 865436A03 Sie 18 2603 | eBay

Is this one better? Sierra Mercruiser Lower Shift Cable Kit Extreme 18 2603E | eBay

Now that you say that I do recall it stalling, thats why he was messing with the cable and I was trying to throttle it / engage it without stalling the motor....didn't realize the shift cable was the cause of both issues.....the throttle cable seemed to work ok :confused:

Wait, what tap do I need?

What it says in the manual, I mis-spoke, sorry...

wrench 3

Commander

In my own defense, I never had access to that information and had to devise a procedure for my self. I've done a half a dozen of them just being careful of the positioning, and they're all working fine.

JF660R

Seaman Apprentice

Which cable should I get? Or a different one alltogether?

And going with this tap Pipe Taps Straight NPSF Size 1 4" 18 4 Flutes | eBay unless thats not correct....

And, is this the correct impeller kit?
Mercruiser Alpha Mr R MC 1 Impeller Kit Replaces Mercury 47 89984Q5 18 3217 | eBay

Just want to get all the right stuff so it's not any harder than it needs to be.
Thanks

wrench 3

Commander

The 18-2603E is a higher quality cable and the picture shows that the gasket for your drive is included.
The 18-3217 is the correct impeller kit provided that your housings are in good condition.
It's been established that I'm not an expert on the tap required.

JF660R

Seaman Apprentice

Alright, I've ordered the 2603E kit, the impeller, and the tap. Anything else I should get?

JF660R

Seaman Apprentice

I DL'd the manual, should I be looking at 6B-23?

Also I found this write up - Replacing your Mercruiser Alpha or Bravo Shift Cable - other than tapping the hole is this a pretty accurate description of what needs to be done?

Do I need the thin wall socket or engine alignment tool?

Thanks

JF660R

Seaman Apprentice

Made some progress today. Didnt really need the tap, already threaded all the way through.

Will need the special socket though, and the instructions that came with the kit say to cut a slot in it to make it like a crows foot...