Yachtline 480dl hull leaks

Charleszodiac

Recruit
I have a yachtline 480dl. The hull takes on a lot of water while at speed. When idling or going slowly it does not take on water. When cruising at 20 knots, it takes on a huge amount of water. I have completely filled the hull with water with no leakage. I have removed the tubes and there is not an obvious crack at the deck/hull join. There is a small space at the back of the tube track, but this has never been an issue in the past and does not leak when the hull was full. Any ideas? Thanks, Charles

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Yachtline 480dl hull leaks

"There is a small space at the back of the tube track, but this has never been an issue in the past and does not leak when the hull was full"

Things fall apart and get worse. Chances are that more of the material has let go where you cannot see it. Chances are the boat is PVC. Chances are it's over six years old. Take it into a dealer and let them charge you $100.00 to tell you where it is leaking.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

I have a yachtline 480dl. The hull takes on a lot of water while at speed. When idling or going slowly it does not take on water. When cruising at 20 knots, it takes on a huge amount of water. I have completely filled the hull with water with no leakage. I have removed the tubes and there is not an obvious crack at the deck/hull join. There is a small space at the back of the tube track, but this has never been an issue in the past and does not leak when the hull was full. Any ideas? Thanks, Charles

What do you mean the takes on a lot of water? Do you mean the inside where you sit, or in between the deck and the bottom hull (below the floor)? If it is between the top and bottom hull, how can you tell that the water is coming in at certain times?

I have a Zodiac 470 Pro II that would take on a lot of water inside the hull (between the deck and the bottom). After filling the back part of the tube slot (slot is longer than the tube runner) with silicone, the leaking stopped.

I have also had water come into the top of the boat (where you sit) by having the engine trimmed wrong and going fast. The engine leg would deflect water over the top of the transom. I can also get a load of water in the boat over the transom from stopping quickly (coming off plane) after traveling fast and having the wake catch up to the boat.

Charleszodiac

Recruit

"What do you mean the takes on a lot of water? Do you mean the inside where you sit, or in between the deck and the bottom hull (below the floor)? If it is between the top and bottom hull, how can you tell that the water is coming in at certain times?"

REPLY: IT COMES IN TO THE AREA BETWEEN THE DECK AND BOTTOM HULL. THE WAY I CAN TELL IS THAT WHEN I AM STANDING STILL OR MOVING SLOWLY, WHEN I MANUALLY POWER THE BILGE PUMP, NOTHING COMES OUT OF THE BILGE DRAIN HOLE. IF I AM MOVING QUICKLY (PLANING), WHEN I MANUALLY POWER THE BILGE, A LOT OF WATER COMES OUT OF THE BILGE DRAIN HOLE.

"I have a Zodiac 470 Pro II that would take on a lot of water inside the hull (between the deck and the bottom). After filling the back part of the tube slot (slot is longer than the tube runner) with silicone, the leaking stopped."

WHEN I FILLED THE HULL WITH WATER FROM A HOSE, THESE AREAS WERE SUBMERGED FROM THE INSIDE. THEY DID NOT LEAK TO THE OUTSIDE. I ASSUMED THIS MEANT THAT IT WAS NOT THE PROBLEM, BUT I WILL TRY TO FILL IN THESE SLOTS TO SEE IF IT HELPS. THANKS, CHARLES

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

REPLY: IT COMES IN TO THE AREA BETWEEN THE DECK AND BOTTOM HULL. THE WAY I CAN TELL IS THAT WHEN I AM STANDING STILL OR MOVING SLOWLY, WHEN I MANUALLY POWER THE BILGE PUMP, NOTHING COMES OUT OF THE BILGE DRAIN HOLE. IF I AM MOVING QUICKLY (PLANING), WHEN I MANUALLY POWER THE BILGE, A LOT OF WATER COMES OUT OF THE BILGE DRAIN HOLE.

Maybe this has something to do with the way the boat sits. When going slow the boat usually sits flatter, when going fast the nose is up a bit. Perhaps when going slow or stopped the water is collecting somewhere where the bilge pump can't get it. When you go fast the water moves to the area of the bilge pump pickup.

My Pro II did not have a pump between the deck and the hull bottom, the only way to be sure if there was water in there was to get the boat out of the water and remove the plug. When my boat was on the trailer I'd have to tilt it up to get the water out the drain, otherwise the water would sit towards the front of the boat (in the hull vee).