newbie: evinrude selectric shift concerns

DanandKree

Recruit
So I Just Bought A 71 16' Reinell With A 60Hp Outboard And A Push Button Shifter. My Question Is Concerning Shifting From Forward To Reverse. Is It Ok To Go Directly From Forward to Reverse Or Do I Need To Go To Neutral first? If I Can Shift Direct What Would Be The Max Rpm To do So. I Had A Really Hard Time Manuvering Into My Slip Doing The Button Routine From F To N To R. But Am Not Wanting To damage Motor.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: newbie: evinrude selectric shift concerns

Idle only, and it shouldn't hurt it .

southkogs

Staff member

I have done it, but I don't believe it's good for 'em. I've owned three and have always tried to avoid it - As opposed to a mechanical shift, electric shift seems to pop into gear quicker and that's a heckuva' jolt from forward to reverse.

Like MH says - in idle, probably not a killer (they're a pretty robust system) but I prefer a clean stop from energizing one magnet before energizing the other.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

That's the purpose of the rubber slip hub in your prop. It absorbs the shock (within limits) of things like shifting in addition to other whacks and of course slipping when a big obstruction is hit.

Like Mr. Hawker said, idle is where you shift.

I had selectric shifting on a '72 Johnson 125 and it worked just fine.

I have had regular shifting OB's and in a tight spot went rapidly from one gear to the other with no problems.

HTH,
Mark

DanandKree

Recruit

Thanx ForThe Repsponses....Im Sure It Wont take Too Long To Get Used to!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Just remember, parts are getting hard to find for that lower unit and are expensive $$$$$$.

lexer440

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had an evinrude 60hp with 3 button electric shift. I was not able to go from forward to reverse unless the shift lever was in neutral, a lock in control prevented it. Lock was a sliding plate across inside top of control unit, putting it in here because I thought maybe you were missing something?

Just to clarify "neutral", I had to bring the lever back to idle before making another selection.