Steering Lock Nut

fire0501

Seaman
Ok I have searched around but i cant find any info on my problem. The Lock Nut that attaches the steering cable to the tube at the rear of the boat will not thread back on to the tube.... I dont see any thread and it doesnt look as that there ever was any.... when I turn the wheel to the left the motor puts pressure on the steering cable and since the nut isnt locked onto the tube it pushed the cable against the side of the boat. Is there some trick to getting this nut locked onto this tube? It seems it should be threaded but isnt.
steering1_zps17a6d627.jpg

steering2_zps36b8d29f.jpg

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steering Lock Nut

Did you just get this boat or what ?? Are there threads on the other end of the tube ??

fire0501

Seaman

Yes I got this boat like this Ill have to look at the other end but i dont believe ive seen any

fire0501

Seaman

Unfortunately there aren't any threads on the other end of the tube. the inside of the nut has a lot of grease so im not able to tell if the pipe broke off inside of it or not. at the very rear of the nut i can see threads. I will clean it out and see what the front of the nut looks like threadwise im sure somewhat stripped as I have tried to twist it on pretty aggressively. Does anyone have any idea what type of thread it is? Pipe thread probably? Maybe I can take the tube out and thread it?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If there are any pieces of the tube left in the nut on the cable, you'll have to get them out.