Drive shaft play

PatrickBoyle

Seaman Apprentice
I've got my MR drive apart doing the water pump, water pocket, front shaft seal, etc. I've pulled the complete water pump assembly off including the base (there was evidence of overheating). I noticed quite a bit of side-to-side play on the driveshaft, as well as a little up-and-down. I'm curious as to how much is allowed?

I'd also like to know the part number of the drive shaft seal in the upper unit right next to the water pocket cover. It's hard to tell from the parts diagrams.

Thanks in advance!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Drive shaft play

It's fine, and quite normal. When running, the shape of the gears push the vertical shaft up into the bearing.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I've got my MR drive apart doing the water pump, water pocket, front shaft seal, etc. I've pulled the complete water pump assembly off including the base (there was evidence of overheating). I noticed quite a bit of side-to-side play on the driveshaft, as well as a little up-and-down. I'm curious as to how much is allowed?

I'd also like to know the part number of the drive shaft seal in the upper unit right next to the water pocket cover. It's hard to tell from the parts diagrams.

Thanks in advance!

26-965031

mercs4mark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks in advance!

Careful with doing anything with the water pocket, those bolts can snap pretty easy....and really no good way to fix!