83 19' islander possible purchase?

I have an opportunity to grab an 83 islander with 140 merc in pretty good condition. I have been picking through the forums and am slightly concerned about the outdrive issues. I am currently an OB owner so IO is new to me. What do I need to look for? I am handy with a wrench and this will be in my barn for at least this year while I get it hooked up with all my equipment. I want an islander but I am not necessarily hoping to do a motor & outdrive replacement. This boat is currently water ready I just want to be prepared for future projects and cost if I decide to pull the trigger. Anything particular on these models I should check before buying?
Thanks
Jon

Re: 83 19' islander possible purchase?

Ok maybe I just confused things. It sounds like the merc is a good unit. The omc is not so good?

matt167

Captain

Not much to go wrong with an old tin Starcraft. Floor, transom and engine/ drive is about the only things that could go wrong. Check to make sure the wood is solid, and then the condition of the engine/ outdrive. Check the block for cracks, compression and the lower unit for damage/ function. Sea trial is best.

As far as the 140hp Mercruiser, they are pretty much bullet proof. Not a huge amount of power but every bit enough to push around a 19' Islander. Chevy had used that engine design since the mid 60's and the 3.0L ( 140hp ) Version is still in production. The parts for the out-drive are available and service technicians will still service the Mercruisers if you needed.

An OMC stern drive should be avoided due to parts availability, and technicians will often refuse to work on them.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

140 hp is plenty in a 19', my 21' fully loaded (4-200lb POB's), full gas, kicker will top out at 28mph at sea level.
Normal I/O stuff to look at. Being an 83 you could have lots of work or very little.
Has it been run in salt or just fresh water, splines been greased, outdrive seals in good shape, bellows (ever been changed), transmon soft ?, manifold cracked. Make sure you test run it and look for leaks around the engine.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Awesome fishing platform. The 3.0 liter is a very reliable engine too.

Awesome fishing platform. The 3.0 liter is a very reliable engine too.

Cool thanks for the replies. If I get to it before someone else I will probably bring her home. On the water test is going to be tough but I will see if I can't work somethin out. This guy has owned it since new and tells me the outdrive is serviced by the same guy every fall so I am going to check up on that. Price is right though and I might get a couple power riggers out of it. No more handcranking sounds good. This forum is full of info ill post up some pics if she comes home! Gotta get my barn door measured to make sure she fits under.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Any Mercruiser with a CHEVY based engine is good. Avoid OMC and Ford motors and especially the Mercruiser big 4 banger, the 470 (3.7L)

Well I couldn't help myself I now own a Starcraft. Turns out I heard wrong and it's got the 120 rather than 140 but she fired right up from cold and sounded real good so no worries. It doesn't come without lots of character but its water ready right now. Of course I will be changing oils, filters, plugs,etc, cleaning her up and artaching all of my toys. I am contemplating a paint job but probably just won't have time this year. My wife seems to think it needs to be named "the floating turd!" i said yes of course i will name it after you darling! Once I get it home ill post up a pic.

Well here she is now to get it the way I want. It would be great to repaint but I don't think that's in the budget. Hopefully have time to start tinkering soon. Can anyone recommend a manual for the outdrive and connections? I am not worried about the little motor I have torn down a few Chevys before.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey - She looks good, Non-PETA Member. I has a M/C 120 in a 19' glasser a while back. A very heavy boat and the 120 moved her around quite well. Your lighter tinny will be fine with it. Yeah - the motor isn't too hard to work on. Outdrive isn't that bad either.

My wife seems to think it needs to be named "the floating turd!" i said yes of course i will name it after you darling!

Is that your pet name for your wife? Or is she referring to the color? I hope it's the color otherwise she is going to be fighting spending on the boat. Wait 'til she goes for a ride with you, she will change her mind. Advice - Get a porta-potty for her benefit. Worth it's weight in gold with a lady. :)

Welcome to the Starmada, animalsredlicious. Keep the admiral happy and have fun. Got any interior/cockpit pics?

No it was her name after seeing the color. My wife has been out before and she knows how to use the bucket but generally doesnt care to go. I do have a 2 month Old daughter so some day in the future i hope i do run into needing it to be lady friendly. I still haven't officially named it yet . No pics of interior either but that is where the usage really shows. I will start picking at these forums to get ideas on ways to fix it up and make it look nice again. Not looking to make it new again but at least not scare any guests away!

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Congrats on the boat.....she looks good. The 120 is just just fine for that size Islander, as a matter of fact I had a 120 in a 22' Islander I bought new in the mid 80's and although not a speed demon she cruised nicely, would troll down to a great salmon speed and was easy on fuel.

barato2

Commander

boat actually looks pretty nice on the outside. post more pics, eh?

Here r a couple photos but it blocks the lights in my barn. Pretty goodcondition just lots of small holes from various rod holders and downriggers. Some will get covered when I add mine. There are a couple messy caulk jobs. Anyone know how to clean the caulk off aluminum.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 0