2002 115 Hp FICHT Milky Gear Oil

69 Alumacraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Gear oil was milky and I drained it and filled with new stuff almost immediately after it emptied. Just got it back from the Mech who did the shift shaft, drive shaft seals and water pump, pressure tested it. Ran it twice and found milky gear oil. Brought it back he pressure tested it again while I was standing there. It held 15 psi for 15 minutes and he sprayed the prop shaft and bearing carrier w/ soapy water to look for leaks non found. He said the milk must have come from residual milky oil that was stuck in the carrier bearing. Sent me on my way.Who agrees? Disagrees?

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 2002 115 Hp FICHT Milky Gear Oil

Well, if he tested it while you were there and watching the gauge with him, I'd be inclined to agree with him about the residule oil. It doesn't take much to discolor the oil. Did he do a vacume test as well?

69 Alumacraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No vacuum test. From a reputable shop, seemed like a pro. Paid $400 for upper seal job water pump and remove zinc with a sheared off bolt.

69 Alumacraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any one else care to chime in. My plan is to run it again and recheck gear oil. Question is how much will a small amount of milky gear oil contaminate fresh oil?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

For a proper pressure and vacuum check the g/c has to be drained. When doing it the d/s and the p/s have to be turning and it should be shifted through the gears. Did he do this ?? That g/c also needs a vacuum check as it has double lipped seals.

69 Alumacraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No vacuum check or moving of shift rod, drive shaft or propshaft during test. I guess I'll run her through the paces and check LU oil after. Thanks for the info.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Let us know the out come.

69 Alumacraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

3 hours on the lake and checked gear oil and it was a very slight contamination, I could still see through it in a glass but had a cloudy quality.
I am hoping mech was right and it will gradually dissipate. I will check again after next outing, if it is the same I'll know its good , more milk means seal job. Question: Is this wishful thinking?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Maybe............. Run it and see what happens.

69 Alumacraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Went for a 1 hour cruise at all speeds in 48 degree water, checked the gear oil and took a sample in a glass and compared it to the last check and it was identical. So, I say no leak. I think it would have gotten worse if it were leaking. Any 2 cents appreciated.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

2 cents, run it and keep on checking it:)

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

As long ayou use a good gear lube made for outboards and not auto lube, you should be good as long as it dose not get worse. The small washer seals on the drain and vent plugs should be replaced every so often as they are a good way for water intrusion. As Boobie has stated keep a eye on it because a vacum test was not done. Anytime the motor is not running or just idleing the water pressure is greater than the pressure of the oil in the LU and can push into the LU fron the prop shaft seals and the ones on the drain and vent plugs. When changeing the LU lube I leave it drain for over 24 hours to get most all the old lube and water out before putting in new lube. JMO
Oldman570

69 Alumacraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, the wrench reused the old drain gaskets and I put new ones in when I checked it the first time and I have also been replacing the lower gasket every time I peek at the oil. I plan to put some hours on her next week and will follow your advice keep checking and replacing gasket with a new one each time. Next question: There is synthetic Bombardier HPF oil in there, does that behave differently that the regular stuff? I have heard the synthetic has a tendency to hold air bubbles and cloud up. I only use the HPF for this engine but I use the cheep penzoil or west marine stuff for my other small OB's.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Worn driveshaft seals and driveshaft bearing can do the same thing, as can a pitted shift rod and flattened o-ring. When the motor is still, they can hold pressure and vacuum, but when running, the shaft is wobbling slightly and when shifting, pressure is applied more to one side of the o-ring than the other.

Chances are the driveshaft bearing, the highest lubricated part of the gearcase has rusty or stained rollers and that the shift o-ring has never been replaced or the shift shaft inspected for wear or pitting in the seal area.

Replace the bearing housing as it comes with seals installed, use the brown colored new style o-ring around it, and replace the shift o-ring if the shaft looks OK. I'll bet your water intrusion problem will be gone.

69 Alumacraft

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The driveshaft and shift shaft seals were replaced and were definitely leaking. The oring on the shift shaft was so pitted and warn that the unit would not shift once it was replaced it shifted great.