Idle issue

rebounder18

Recruit
I have a 1970 Johnson 70hp outboard. I have to use starting fluid to start it most of the time. With earmuffs on it I can put it in gear no problem. I took it to the water for the first time yesterday. It would run in neutral but would die in gear. Any ideas.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: Idle issue

First of all welcome to Iboats forum...:welcome: Good to have you aboard...

Sounds like you have a fuel delivery issue. DON'T use starter fluid to start your outboard again. It washes all the oil out of the bearings and such and makes your outboard run without any oil protection. That's a huge NO NO. If you do want to start your outboard use a squirt bottle of 50:1 gas/oil mixture exactly like in your fuel tank. That is a safe alternative. But you have a fuel delivery issue that needs attention. When was the last time you run that engine? If it has been sitting for a while, do a carb rebuild for starters. You can also check your fuel pump to see if it is working. And last but certainly not least make sure your tank, fuel hose and primer bulb are all in good condition as well. Does the primer bulb pump up and gets firm? If not, start there and replace it. Next make sure your fuel pump is supplying fuel to the carb(s). If all that is good, it is your carb next...

rebounder18

Recruit

First of all welcome to Iboats forum...:welcome: Good to have you aboard...

Sounds like you have a fuel delivery issue. DON'T use starter fluid to start your outboard again. It washes all the oil out of the bearings and such and makes your outboard run without any oil protection. That's a huge NO NO. If you do want to start your outboard use a squirt bottle of 50:1 gas/oil mixture exactly like in your fuel tank. That is a safe alternative. But you have a fuel delivery issue that needs attention. When was the last time you run that engine? If it has been sitting for a while, do a carb rebuild for starters. You can also check your fuel pump to see if it is working. And last but certainly not least make sure your tank, fuel hose and primer bulb are all in good condition as well. Does the primer bulb pump up and gets firm? If not, start there and replace it. Next make sure your fuel pump is supplying fuel to the carb(s). If all that is good, it is your carb next...

Thank you. I have ran the engine the day before I took it to the lake I ran it for about 5 min with the earmuffs on it. I have a new primer bulb and it gets firm.

91 Sprint

Cadet

I've heard that starting fluid is not good for 2cycles, don't really know how true that is though. Oh and welcome, this Form is Awesome!

91 Sprint

Cadet

Do you have a manual choke like push key on the ignition switch?

airman1094

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 1975 Johnny 115...mine has a manual choke on the port side of the carb! I usually have to use it the first start of the day! No push button primer on mine though:facepalm:...wish it did sometimes...and everyone else is right about that starter fluid! It's evil to two strokes!