04' Explorer Won't Go Into Park

mscher

Lieutenant
MIL's 2004 Ford Explorer AWD, won't go into park. It will move up and out of reverse, but will still roll and of course, no steering lock and key removal.

She stated a few years ago, that it once, would not come out of park. It had to be towed to the dealer, where they replace a "very expensive" fuse, inside the steering column.

That's all she knew about it.

Anybody seen this before?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Re: 04' Explorer Won't Go Into Park

Floor shift or column? I know I had to adjust the shifter on my 2003 a couple of times before it would go into park, I know I am going to have to adjust it pretty soon, because I have to play with it a bit now to get into park. Also one other thing it can be is the ignition switch is worn and not allowing it to go all the way into park, this is a famous problem with many of the newer fords. Can she put it in neutral and start it?

Beings she mentioned the fuse in a column, I presume it is a column shift, so the shifter gear is probably out of adjustment.

Another thing that gets worn and needs to be replaced is the Brake Shift Interlock, which is what engages when you put your foot on the brake to shift out of park, if it is worn out, it will not let you shift into park, or out of park if it is in park. So check the fuse on the BSI and take the shroud off the steering column and make sure it is moving when the brake is pushed while the ignition is on.

mscher

Lieutenant

Floor shift or column? I know I had to adjust the shifter on my 2003 a couple of times before it would go into park, I know I am going to have to adjust it pretty soon, because I have to play with it a bit now to get into park. Also one other thing it can be is the ignition switch is worn and not allowing it to go all the way into park, this is a famous problem with many of the newer fords. Can she put it in neutral and start it?

Beings she mentioned the fuse in a column, I presume it is a column shift, so the shifter gear is probably out of adjustment.

Another thing that gets worn and needs to be replaced is the Brake Shift Interlock, which is what engages when you put your foot on the brake to shift out of park, if it is worn out, it will not let you shift into park, or out of park if it is in park. So check the fuse on the BSI and take the shroud off the steering column and make sure it is moving when the brake is pushed while the ignition is on.

It indeed was the BSI. switch.

$67 for something should should cost $8, but it got the job done. 2nd time the switch has been replaced. Fords are just as annoying as the rest of them.

thanks for the input.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Glad to hear you figured it out.