Is $1700 too much for a 1989 14ft Fisher v-hull?

Kec62

Recruit
I am looking into buying a 1989 Fisher V-hull. It has a working 1994 Evinrude 9.9 hp and trolling motor. It also has live well and 3 seats. All lights on boat and trailer work. It is riveted but has been welded in the front to fix a slow leak.

It is going for $1700. Is that overpriced? Does anyone know anything about models around that year or anything about the quality of fisher boats in general?

I currently have a 14ft gheenoe canoe with a 8hp motor (10hp and 675lb capacity.) How would the fisher compare to the canoe? I definitely don't want to buy a boat with lower capacity. Is it even worth buying it? The canoe is great and stable with 3 people on it. My only problem with it is person in the front gets soaked because its sides are so low.

Thanks for the help!

s freud

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Is $1700 too much for a 1989 14ft Fisher v-hull?

The best way to check is to look at Craigslist in and around your area at comprable boats/setups. It does not sound bad, but it does not sound great either, but that's for me in the DC area. I am also not familiar with that type of boat and don't have pictures to compare it to. Check the capacity plate to see how it compares with cargo/people load.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Older Fisher boats have a reputation of being great.
Well built, no wood to rot.

Then Brunswick bought them and made then pretty and expensive, but the build quality suffered.

You are looking at one of the older ones.
I would not hesitate to buy it.
It should be a great little boat.

Everything boating is related to location and condition, but around here, the price is about right if the trailer and motor are in decent condition.

Price is about right, offer 1500 and go boating. :)

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

I don't think you're going to gain much, if anything, over your current rig.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Check Craigs list for your area - - you did not tell us where you are and location is very important to price. Here in Miami you might be lookin at < $1,000.

redneckpunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

as stated, it will depend on your area. Here in N. Cali, a 14ft v-hull with 2 motors (in good running cond) and trailer, all in good/decent shape, would start in that range and go up. As an example, last fall I sold my 12ft v-hull all rebuilt, painted and carpeted, 15hp SeaKing, 24lb minnkota, new battery and rebuilt trailer for $1400. Originally had listed at $1700 with only one inquiry but after 3+ months on CL and needing garage space for next project I reposted at $1400 and sold it the next day

64osby

Admiral

Sometimes welding a riveted boat can cause problems.

The heat from the weld can weaken the metal causing it to crack over time.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

I don't think you're going to gain much, if anything, over your current rig.

Should be quite a bit drier than the Gheenoe I'd think.