Thermostat replacement - '86 9.9

tdiz

Recruit
I've got J10RCCD. It has the newer style thermostat (the one encased in plastic - original part number 395919, now 433379).

Have a new 433379, followed the instructions and removed the old valve seat, which was quite stuck in there.

Installing the new valve seat, it looks like I would either need a smaller valve seat, or need to let the new one float around in position. It looks/feels too tight to get it seated all the way down. And the lip if I do isn't that high, so only 1/3 or so of its width would be in in the smaller diameter section - like it would just pop back out even if I did get it in there.

Has anyone installed one of these?

Photos attached.

Thanks!photo (1).jpgphoto.jpg

tdiz

Recruit
Re: Thermostat replacement - '86 9.9

And it looks like if I let it float around in there (move as the thermostat moves against its spring), it will block the holes on the bottom of the housing. So it doesn't look like that's what they intended.

tdiz

Recruit
Re: Thermostat replacement - '86 9.9

Mystery solved. In case anyone doing this is as knuckle headed as I - the old valve seat actually fell apart as I was removing it. What's left in there is the stainless core of the valve seal. After figuring that out and using some heat and picks, got the old one free. The attached photo shows what it should look like with all of the old stuff removed, ready to install the new valve seat and thermostat.

photo (2).jpg