not turning over

dghby

Cadet
Hi all, i am as new as they come when it comes to engines and before i take it to the shop thought i would ask the experts to help out if you can.
OMC, 4.3 Cobra - brand new battery, when i turn the key on the gages come to life. that is the only thing that comes to life. try to turn the motor over just a click. try to raise the outdrive, nothing, turn on the bildge pump nothing, turn on the blower-nothing, radio-nothing.
Engine was underwater last year and had it blown out and serviced, it had started up and ran good, but then winterized and put away for winter.
i have no brains when it comes to engines, any ideas??

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: not turning over

Fuses at the engine? Circuit breakers? Possible there is a lead that didn't get hooked up?
As far as the "click" that could be a bad starter(underwater last year) or a bad solenoid or a low battery?
Salt or fresh water sunk?

dghby

Cadet

Hi jerry, freshwater, Battery was just purchased yesterday. busy with work so unable to tackle a whole lot but this afternoon should be better.
Fuses are definitely on my list, Circuit breaker?? can you be more specific ( sorry, just not real bright when it comes to electronics or engines)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A solenoid click when turning the key says the circuit is complete BUT connections are bad. Check both ends of both battery cables for corrosion. That doesn't mean "looking" at them. Remove, make then shiny clean and bright and tighten securely. A new battery may not be fully charged. Charge it. Gauges are powered via the ENGINE wiring harness. Everything else is typically fed by the BOAT harness which is typically another pair of smaller #8 or #10 wires also attached at the battery. There is typically a fuse or circuit breaker close to the battery in the positive lead of that pair. Check those connections as well. Lets fix all the other stuff before spending money on a starter that may not be bad (although if it was dunked, it will likely go bad).

dghby

Cadet

thanks guy's, makes sense, i will address all that to begin with.

uw puppet

Recruit

their are 3 fuses on top of the engine inside some black boots left side of carb, pop off wire clip, pull apart, their are 2 50's amp and 1 20 amp.

SteelBlack

Cadet

Might just be tha a ground wire was left off somewhere to take out that many items. The click you hear may be just the starter relay. Check all ground wires.