1997 evinrude running problem

lashley

Cadet
my 1997 evinrude 115 hp won't run without priming it constantly. just put back together after two months. it will run fine idling for a few minutes, but when you take off, it's as if its running out of gas. choke it and it runs fine for ten seconds and then you have to prime it constantly for it to run.I just put a new starter on it, new impeller, did a compression test, 125ft lbs per cylinder. just trying to get back on the water. any ideas?

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Re: 1997 evinrude running problem

Check vent on tank, check for air leaks at every fuel line connection, check fuel from pump to carb; is it pumping fuel? Check for sticking float needle in carb. Others will chime in with other suggestions. Good luck

lashley

Cadet

I forgot to mention. my oil light came on about 4 or 5 minutes of use. no oil light. it has plenty of oil in the reservoir. could it be my vro2 pump?

code man

Cadet

lashley,

I had the same problem about a month ago. replaced all fuel lines, checked vent all the easy stuff. Motor would not run unless you primed it every 10 seconds or so. Checked fuel pump and it was pumping but not nearly enough. Replace fuel pump and it solved my problem. Good luck.

lashley

Cadet

is there anyway to check it to be sure that's what it is?

91 Sprint

Cadet

The outboard fuel pump has a sensitive diaphragm that receives a suction signal from a piston cylinder so the pump can deliver fuel. If the cylinder has a leak, the pump pulse signal will not be strong enough to send the proper amount of fuel to the cylinder. Outboard fuel pumps rarely fail, and diagnosing a fuel problem involves checking other components that can be easily mistaken for a bad check valve or diaphragm in a fuel pump. A process of elimination will narrow down a bad fuel pump.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

disconnect the fuel line from pump at the carb, crank the engine and see if fuel comes out of the hose; no fuel, no pump.