Folding ducktwin and F_R tuning question:

jbjennings

Captain
0330131912_0001.jpg0330131910.jpg

Just thought I'd share----I've been wanting a nice 3hp for a long time. It's got 90psi in both cylinders and runs great with a good prop, lower unit seals, and little missing paint on the skeg. Very pleased to get this one----first motor I've bought in quite a while and it was only 20miles away.

F_R----I was just curious if the timing tool you've got makes the engine easier to start, better fuel mileage, smoother idle, or exactly what. I know you wouldn't use it if it weren't useful. Considering getting one since I'm so pleased with the shift shaft bushing tool if you have one on hand.
Later,
JBJ

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Folding ducktwin and F_R tuning question:

What the tool does is get the points adjusted right on the money so they open at exactly the right time. Setting them at .020" gets them close, but using the timing fixture gets them right on. Besides, it is much easier, once you get used to doing it that way.

To give a better answer to your question, a motor with the points set correctly will run better than one that is off. So,o,o,o,o, it depends on how good you are going to get them with a feeler gage. You may get lucky.

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

jbjennings, they are definitely worth it. Very well made and definitely reasonably priced. I have purchase a lot of his tools and have been very satisfied!!

David

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

90psi in each cylinder....definitely a low hour motor. Lucky dog, they look great!!! Post some videos of it running!!!

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral

one is for sale on kijiji here in Monteal ....asking price is $700 ...with the case :)

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I use F_Rs timing fixture and Ill never go back to feeler gauges. As stated, it gets the points timing dead on, whereas using the gauges gets you in the ballpark. Also, it allows the cylinder to fire exactly 180 degrees apart, where I believe the smooth idle comes into play.

kbait

Commander

My feeler gauge is lonely since I bought F R's timing tool. Just make sure the armature plate has NO lateral play, set each pointset w/the timing tool, and you have a PERFECTLY timed ignition. +1 on proper timing's effect on slow-troll idle quality. VERY slow and steady. Thanks again F R!!
Here's more info: Timing Fixtures

AlTn

Commander

I'm strictly a hobbyist and I give it the highest recommendation.Once you establish a good spark and set the spark timing with the timing fixture tool you, at least, know what it isn't when it won't fire or idle properly.

jbjennings

Captain

Thanks F_R and everyone else.... That's what I wanted to hear! I actually hate feeler gauges, but am not an expert at getting all the play out of the armature plate, either.
I do have a couple of motors that are 1 pull starters most of the time, even when it's really cold. I always wondered what factor was causing that since the compression wasn't anything special on the easy starters. I figured it had to either be carburetion or timing. I think I'll get it. I have one of F_R's bushing tools and was very impressed---is that thing stainless steel???
I was already wanting the timing tool but delayed getting it........
Btw, I didn't get the case with mine but the price was 7 times lower! :)
I'll try to post a video of the ducktwin when I get it just right. I'm debating whether or not to cosmetically restore it, and want for sure a new pull cord handle. The paint is all there, but faded different colors in areas due to sun and fuel.
Later,
JBJ

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I dont know JBJ.....I would consider leaving that little bugger original. I think it looks great.

Rick.

Captain

I dont know JBJ.....I would consider leaving that little bugger original. I think it looks great.

x2! A good cleaning and a wax will only improve the look of it but I think it looks fine now. Best of luck. Rick.