Basic Stereo Recommendations?

VAfan

Cadet
I’m the proud owner of a 1999 20ft Tracker pontoon in need of lot’s of stuff – including a stereo system. Looks like Polk Audio DB651 are decent lower cost speakers (after searching the forum) but having a hard time finding an obvious lower cost stereo recommendation.

Looking for a basic FM/CD stereo that has the potential to be exposed to lots of water (on the console), any suggestions?

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Basic Stereo Recommendations?

Check out Crutchfield. I've been buying electronics from them for 20 years and they are always excellent.

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a Sony marine head unit with iPod connection that works well for me. Also has removable face and remote.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can put a waterproof cover over any car stereo faceplate for about $22
You want a connection for your phone or iPod.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

The hinge on that cover is very weak. Pyle makes a much better clam shell type

moosehead

Chief Petty Officer

+1 to buying marine grade components, Crutchfield, and direct wire Ipod connectors (or maybe even XM/Sirrius). CD's skip around more in a boat, and FM reception can be spotty depending on your waterways.

Check out marine decks by Alpine - their Ipod controllers are spectacular and overall the features and quality are well worth a bit of a premium. Same for Marine Speakers by Infinity and JL Audio. Consider getting a wireless controller for the cockpit, unless you are able to mount the headunit at the helm. Yea, some of these are a bit more spendy, but they are durable and efficient, and may save you from having to overpower with more amps and subwoofers (unless you want to blow everyone out of the water - not recommended).

You may also want to add a dual-battery setup if you intend to add amps and run the system for many hours while at anchor, beached, or in port.

Enjoy. Marine systems are a great mod.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

If it were my boat, I'd put marine speakers in it rather than car speakers, they should last a lot longer. I have Infinity 612Ms in my boat and think they sound great.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

i skipped the head unit, just plug my andriod into my amplifier, my music dos'nt skip, and get fm stations or youtube, i have floated down the river fishing and watching mr magoo:D on netflix. if you get a cheap cd player it will skip more than play

babbot

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Polk Audio makes excellent marine speakers for the $$ I put a set in myself and they sound great. A CD player in a boat is not the greatest environment. They don't tend to last. Get a head unit with an auxiliary input at least. Most have them now. I don't have a preferred brand because I don't really like any of them so I went with a cheap sony with the little compartment that you can store you ipod in and integrate. Was just over $100 with a remote.
Once you find the exact components and model #'s go to Amazon they are MUCH cheaper.

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just recently upgraded audio system in my boat as well. I went with a Sony CDX-M60ui head unit, had lots of reviews. Seems to be a pretty popular head unit, has iPod/USB hookup, 3 preouts (front/rear/sub) - $150. I ended up going with Fosgate marine speakers (the 6.5's and a 10" infinite baffle sub), as well as a new amp to drive them.. The PO had installed some car speakers before I purchased the boat, they were ruined. I personally would not buy from Crutchfield, as most of their prices are atrocious (no offense to anyone here who buys from them). Better prices can be had at a local audio shop, or from other online retailers.

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a Sony marine head unit with iPod connection that works well for me. Also has removable face and remote.

I had a Sony unit on my old boat it worked great !!

riptide09

Petty Officer 1st Class

My boat came with 2 speakers and last year I installed 2 more. Fidelity in a boat is crap at best and given the environmental concerns I did not want to spend a lot $. I ended up with some inexpensive Sony Marine speakers and they have worked great. By inexpensive I am talking around $70 for a pair of 6.5" dual cone.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've had my Sony marine CD player installed for 8 years. It still works like new and doesn't ever skip.

VAfan

Cadet

Thanks everyone for the info. Based on info from this site and the web I ordered a Sony CDXM30 Marine CD Receiver and a pair of SPS-M600 - Alpine 6.5" 2-Way Marine Speakers from Amazon. Not sure why but the receiver jumped $40 from the time I ordered it.
Also ordered a Pyle radio shield to eliminate the “splash factor”.

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You won't be sorry with those Alpines, I had 4 in my boat before they were stolen. Great sound, clarity, and volume..