high rpms and no go

I just got my boat out of the garage and into the water I got it started and off the trailer she ran real strong until I turned the boat around then it just felt like I lost most of my power my motor was running at high rpms but the boat slowed to a crawl and I had to limp it back to the dock any idea what it could be???

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: high rpms and no go

High RPM - boat doesn't move - spun prop

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Take the prop to a prop shop and have them check it out. Not to expensive to repair.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Spun prop club as well. +1 on the other replies.

pulled the prop off and everything looks good none of the splines are damaged
im still planning on a new prop the old one is pretty banged and nicked up on the blades
could it be anything else?

nevermind I looked at the back of the prop and it looks like the hub moved about a 1/4 in. forward so ill get a new prop and hub and see how that works

thanks all for the help appreciate your time

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Not sure what you mean by "1/4 in. forward". Toward the boat? Make sure prop is fully seated and the drive shaft nut is snug - then continue to crank nut until you can get the cotter pin in. You can check for spun prop by making a mark (i use a bright paint pen) from prop to hub, all the way to the shaft. Run the boat in the lake, take prop off and see if mark is still in line.