Trailering a tahoe Q7 -Tire wear issues

dhildebrand

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2010 Q7 Fish and ski (purchased new in Jan 2012) and the factory trailer tires (Trail America ST 175/80D13, Load Range C) already need replaced. Is this the norm for these tires? Load Range C seem like they are light for the size of the boat. Anyone out there have a suggestion on which tires I should use? Anyone replace them with 14'" tires and wheels? Thanks in advance for advice!!

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Trailering a tahoe Q7 -Tire wear issues

How many miles have the tires gone?

dhildebrand

Seaman Apprentice

I have put approximately 3000 miles on it. I try to watch the tire pressure regularly - at least twice a month. The boat weighs #3800 lbs empty and probably #4200lbs loaded. The trailer probably weighs #7-800lbs. This puts the entire package at close to #5000 lbs. The tires are "c" rated which is #1360 max per tire. This comes out to #5400 give or take a few lbs. Not much room in my opinion.

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

I have put approximately 3000 miles on it. I try to watch the tire pressure regularly - at least twice a month. The boat weighs #3800 lbs empty and probably #4200lbs loaded. The trailer probably weighs #7-800lbs. This puts the entire package at close to #5000 lbs. The tires are "c" rated which is #1360 max per tire. This comes out to #5400 give or take a few lbs. Not much room in my opinion.

May I ask where you got the weight for your boat? I got the weight for my Q7 off of the Tahoe website and fully loaded with fuel my boat is about 3200 lbs. I haven't noticed too much wear on my tires yet but it is coming on a new season so I will have to check them over closer.

dhildebrand

Seaman Apprentice

After additional reading of the tahoe website, I probably did not read it correctly. By package weight, I will make the assumption that it includes the trailer, but no fluids (gas, oils, etc..) and with the smaller 4.3 engine. The 2010 has a 45 gallon tank with adds approx 275 lbs to the weight and with the 5.0 it adds an additional 60 lbs or so. That brings the weight over #4000 (#3631 for the package (via tahoe website), #275 for fuel and oils, 60 lbs for the bigger engine, the weight of the additional required items (safety stuff, etc) and the weight of the fun stuff!). Even with that said, the tires still show wear. I went out yesterday and after looking at them better, I believe the front left and the back right show a bit more wear than the other two, but not enough to say they are the only ones needing replaced.

AgentJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the exact same boat in blue. It is so funny that I am reading your post because I just replaced my tires last week. I bought mine in December of 2010. It does seem that they wore a little premature. I switched brands this time and I hope to get more miles out of them this time. I really don't think I put all that much on the original tires. I probable had about 2500 miles on the old tires. it cost me $305.00 to get new tires. I did buy a 6 ply trailer tires with the same size of the stock tires. I also thought of replacing them with regular vehicle tires but I was advised not to because the side walls are not thick enough to bare the load of our heavy boat.

dhildebrand

Seaman Apprentice

I am trying to decide if I want to replace them with an 8 ply (Load Range D) in 13 inch or should I step up to 14 inch tires and rims. Any suggestions anyone?

AgentJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am trying to decide if I want to replace them with an 8 ply (Load Range D) in 13 inch or should I step up to 14 inch tires and rims. Any suggestions anyone?

I think you will get the same tire wear no matter what. I had no issues with my 6 ply. I think the thing that eats up trailer tires most is dry rotting.

Jason

AgentJ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think it is also important to make sure the trailer is ridding level. either with a drop hitch or raised one.

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

I had the same problem on my trailer with that brand. I switched to radials and had them balanced. It is working ok now. Maybe it is the brand but I don't know.

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

Those little 13" tires sure look tiny under that big boat don't they?? I don't know what brand we have on ours but I will have to check on them and see if they are suffering any issues as of yet. I really need to concentrate on getting a spare tire and mount for this year!

dhildebrand

Seaman Apprentice

I decided on the 13" tires, load range d and radials. I ordered them online from Rec Stuff and got 4 tires mounted on rims for $360 shipped to the door. It will give me spares. I know you shouldn't mix bias and radials, but it would get me off the side of the highway!

BiggerDee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I rented a cabin last year for vacation, and launched my boat and put it into the boat house. I towed the trailer back to the cabin, and had the first opportunity to really inspect the trailer (boatless) in a year (I usually launch the boat, while my wife backs/pulls the trailer out and parks, so I rarely get to see it with the boat off). I was pretty amazed/dismayed at how much wear that the back axle tires had. Of course with a tandem trailer, one axle's tires turn, and the others skid, when turning.

I replaced the bias tires (dangerous anyway) with Durun (bought on eBay. great online reviews, and a good price) steel belted radials, and they are wearing better than the bias ply tires, are safer, and they tow much better. Less rolling resistance as well. I believe that they were $50 or so each, shipped, and cost about $10 each to mount.

My advice is to install steel radials, inflate them to near max pressure (my max is 50psi, and I keep them at 47 to allow for air expansion when warm), and most importantly, make sure that your trailer is as level as possible when connected to your tow vehicle. That is very important. With a trailer that is way off of level, one set of tires will be handling too much weight, and will wear faster, not to mention possible overheat/blow.

I also bought the SecuTire tire pressure monitoring kit (no digital display, but it alarms when one tire falls below threshold pressures) just for peace of mind. Wireless kit that installs on the valve stems, with a receiver unit that plugs into the 12v power outlet in my truck. I believe that it was $60 on eBay. Nice peace of mind.

dhildebrand

Seaman Apprentice

Well so far, after 3 trips to the lake and about 200 miles total driving, I LIKE THE RADIALS! It pulls much easier, and seems to ride better. I dont know much yet about wear, but I will have a better idea in a month or so. I will be trailering it for a total of over 1000 miles. Ill post more then.

dhildebrand

Seaman Apprentice

Well so far, after 3 trips to the lake and about 200 miles total driving, I LIKE THE RADIALS! It pulls much easier, and seems to ride better. I dont know much yet about wear, but I will have a better idea in a month or so. I will be trailering it for a total of over 1000 miles. Ill post more then.

BiggerDee

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Great to hear! Yes, the radials are a HUGE improvement over the bias ply tires that come on the trailer. You can also put a heck of a lot of PSI into them. Mine run at 50PSI, as per the manufacturers recommendation. That gives a lot less rolling resistance, improves gas mileage, and makes it easier to maneuver the trailer when it is disconnected from my truck.

revkev6

Seaman

anyone contacted the dealer about warranty on the tires?? since my boat is a leftover 2010 that I bought in late summer of 2012 I already have quite a bit of dry rot in the tires. I'm pretty sure there is a 1 year warranty on the trailer, would this cover tires possibly??

revkev6

Seaman

Hey guys, figured I would throw and update out there on my trailer tires... the service manager said there is possibly a service bulletin that came out on the tires being dry rotted.. he's double checking and getting back to me

revkev6

Seaman

update #2 there IS a service bulletin on the trailer tires. my boat is a 2010 and it is getting 4 new tires on the dealers tab, possibly the brand new spare replaced as well.

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

Well wish I would have seen this earlier...I just bought 4 new radial trailer tires. I am sure these will last a lot longer and will track much better than those crappy bias ply tires!!