85 HP Chrysler, What to look for?

BlueBeast

Seaman
Hi this weekend I am going to look at a 85 HP Chrysler outboard.
I do not know the year or model number. I plan on doing a visual inspection and hopefully a compression check.

What are some things I should ask or look for with this outboard?

What should the compression test read in each of the cylinders?
Any major issues I should look for?

Thank You

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 85 HP Chrysler, What to look for?

I assume you know that the parts support for these motors sucks and you won't want to pay nearly what you'd pay for the equivalent Johnson/Evinrude/Mercury. Does it have power tilt 'n trim?

BlueBeast

Seaman

I assume you know that the parts support for these motors sucks and you won't want to pay nearly what you'd pay for the equivalent Johnson/Evinrude/Mercury. Does it have power tilt 'n trim?

Yea I know parts are difficult to find for these motors. It does not have a power tilt unit.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

There is really not much to be on the lookout for. New, the engine had about 145 PSI compression. Anything over 120 would be considered good. Of course, the actual numbers found will vary depending upon the gauge and quality.

You do not state the year of the engine but basically, if it has good compression and spark, anything else would be easily and cheaply fixed.

Of course, you need to look at general condition and be on the lookout for corrosion problems. The Chesapeake is brackish down your way so an ill cared for engine could have corrosion problems.

Expect to pay about 500 for an early Chrysler of the late 70s without power tilt/trim, a little more for a late model of 1980-84 vintage. Unless you really want the engine, stay away from an early 70s Chrysler--not because there is anything wrong, it simply is getting too old and doesn't look as nice as later models. Of note though: Parts are swappable on all the engines and you can at a later date install a power tilt/trim system.

If your deal falls through, I have a really good condition 1978 90 WITH power tilt/trim retro fit with a late model one piece lower unit. Send me a private message if you want to come this far and we can discuss it. 100_6136.jpg

OH, BTW: This engine has been ported and runs 45 on my 15 footer.

I can't see in your avatar: Is the blue beast a Chrysler hull?

BlueBeast

Seaman

There is really not much to be on the lookout for. New, the engine had about 145 PSI compression. Anything over 120 would be considered good. Of course, the actual numbers found will vary depending upon the gauge and quality.

You do not state the year of the engine but basically, if it has good compression and spark, anything else would be easily and cheaply fixed.

Of course, you need to look at general condition and be on the lookout for corrosion problems. The Chesapeake is brackish down your way so an ill cared for engine could have corrosion problems.

Expect to pay about 500 for an early Chrysler of the late 70s without power tilt/trim, a little more for a late model of 1980-84 vintage. Unless you really want the engine, stay away from an early 70s Chrysler--not because there is anything wrong, it simply is getting too old and doesn't look as nice as later models. Of note though: Parts are swappable on all the engines and you can at a later date install a power tilt/trim system.

If your deal falls through, I have a really good condition 1978 90 WITH power tilt/trim retro fit with a late model one piece lower unit. Send me a private message if you want to come this far and we can discuss it. View attachment 187795

OH, BTW: This engine has been ported and runs 45 on my 15 footer.

I can't see in your avatar: Is the blue beast a Chrysler hull?

Thanks a lot Frank. I got a pretty good idea now of what to look for. Thanks for the offer with you 78. I think I might be getting a good deal with the one I found and I cant let the offer pass. Yea that is my 1969 Chrysler 16'. I have a Johnson now but I have been thinking about getting a Chrysler for it to match. avatar.jpg

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

In my 20s, my friend had one of those and we used it to water-ski every weekend during the season. It was powered by a Chrysler 75 and topped out at 32 MPH.

Early on, Chrysler bought Lone Star boats but this hull was a Chrysler design.

It has a foam filled bottom and rides like a bigger hull. The small sponsons on each side do not make it ride like a tri-hull yet do dig in on turns. As I remember, that hull also has a riding pad. Quite progressive for the 70s. All in all, It was a nice package but as with any foam filled hull, be on the lookout for waterlogged foam. If the hull does not make a decent expected speed, weigh it.

Interestingly enough, Chrysler did not number that model by its length, but rather by its volume. I forget the actual number, but, for example, if it was 165, then there was 165 cubic feet of volume inside the cockpit.

And by the way: that bow light set into the rub rail is a classic. I don't think any other boat used that configuration. Chrysler did use that same bow light set into a make believe "scoop" on the deck of the Cadet model hull.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Parts are still available,The electronics are a bit costly for the older Chryslers.
The main problem is nobody wants to work on the drives??
I wish I had bought the Force/Chrysler tools when the company I worked for closed??

BlueBeast

Seaman

Parts are still available,The electronics are a bit costly for the older Chryslers.
The main problem is nobody wants to work on the drives??
I wish I had bought the Force/Chrysler tools when the company I worked for closed??

The model number is 8571 and serial 2626. It is an early model, 1969 I believe. Jerry do you have an ideas where to find parts?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

You can try Valley Sales in Prudenville,Mi.