Rebuild porch this year.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Its that time, porch and its roof has to be replaced.
The origanal wood used for the floor is 3/4 inch plywood non T+G and it is very weathered, the floor joists and the roof joists are 24 on center and need to be 16 by my estimate.
Before I rip the old beast down and start new I will seal all the new lumber/plywood, but need to think about a non slip weather proof style of floor covering.
Roof will be role on roofing.

Any ideas on the floor covering? (lots of blowing snow build up in the winter that needs to be "shoveled" off)

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Rebuild porch this year.

Trex Transcend is what we used on the front porch I built last fall. Not cheap by any means but looks great, has a nice "grain" for traction and it is difficult to damage. I shovel it with a shovel that has a hard plastic blade.
PB030002.jpg

oldjeep

Admiral

Should say - that I used decking so there is a gap between the boards. They sell a tongue and groove version too for enclosed porch flooring.

captmello

Captain

Its that time, porch and its roof has to be replaced.
The origanal wood used for the floor is 3/4 inch plywood non T+G and it is very weathered, the floor joists and the roof joists are 24 on center and need to be 16 by my estimate.
Before I rip the old beast down and start new I will seal all the new lumber/plywood, but need to think about a non slip weather proof style of floor covering.
Roof will be role on roofing.

Any ideas on the floor covering? (lots of blowing snow build up in the winter that needs to be "shoveled" off)

Sounds like a fun job. plywood flooring and rolled roofing are the last materials I would use for...anything.;)

I realize you plan to us a different type of flooring, but rolled roofing? why?

How about a pic of what you have to work with.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'd go composite also. Expensive for sure but you'll only do it once!

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Porch was build mid 1970,s I think.

frontporch008_zps5b81d1f8.jpg

frontporch007_zpsf05c5792.jpg

frontporch003_zpsd468df0b.jpg

frontporch001_zps48426819.jpg

rbh

Fleet Admiral

And yes its spring cleaning time!!!, what a mess.

captmello

Captain

The roof looks almost flat, so I guess that is why it has roll roofing. I would go with rubber for the new one. Its pretty easy to install and lasts 3 times as long as the roll roofing.
24 o.c. joists are ok for some things. If you wanted to use treated 2x6 for decking, they would span the 24" but not the fancy composite decking. that stuff is not structural. Same goes for the roof joists/rafters. 1/2 inch plywood/osb will span 24".

Unless you are just reroofing and redecking the floor, you would probably get something a lot nicer and easier to build if you demoed the whole thing and started new.

imo

rbh

Fleet Admiral

You live in barrel, how cool is that!

They call it a steiner arch house, big gluelams trusses? run down from the apex to the foundation/floor.
Gluelams support second floor, Open concept where wanted, 3000 sq ft.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

The roof looks almost flat, so I guess that is why it has roll roofing. I would go with rubber for the new one. Its pretty easy to install and lasts 3 times as long as the roll roofing.
24 o.c. joists are ok for some things. If you wanted to use treated 2x6 for decking, they would span the 24" but not the fancy composite decking. that stuff is not structural. Same goes for the roof joists/rafters. 1/2 inch plywood/osb will span 24".

Unless you are just reroofing and redecking the floor, you would probably get something a lot nicer and easier to build if you demoed the whole thing and started new.

imo

The porch roof has almost no pitch, one day I hope to knock out the wall in the two bedrooms behind the porch roof into a master suite and put a patio door out to the roof making it into a upper deck.
I think I will stick with the 3/4 inch plywood for the floor and roof, just make it T+G, and seal it up good.

captmello

Captain

The porch roof has almost no pitch, one day I hope to knock out the wall in the two bedrooms behind the porch roof into a master suite and put a patio door out to the roof making it into a upper deck.

All the better reason for a rubber roof. You can frame a deck on a rubber roof. Done it twice.

Sorry I hate that roll roofing. asphalt roofing expands and contracts with heat and moisture. thats why asphalt shingles traditionally used the three tabs, to give it space to move. the roll roofing is doomed from the start because it has no room for expansion/contraction and it will buckle and heave like in the photo. Roll roofing has the longevity of a 10yr shingle.

Just an fyi.:)

rbh

Fleet Admiral

All the better reason for a rubber roof. You can frame a deck on a rubber roof. Done it twice.

Sorry I hate that roll roofing. asphalt roofing expands and contracts with heat and moisture. thats why asphalt shingles traditionally used the three tabs, to give it space to move. the roll roofing is doomed from the start because it has no room for expansion/contraction and it will buckle and heave like in the photo. Roll roofing has the longevity of a 10yr shingle.

Just an fyi.:)

I know there is a torch on and a glue on flooring that will take walking traffic, but not sure how much grip it has or how hard it is to "repair". (Damn pussey cats!!)

captmello

Captain

This is the type of stuff i'm talking about. Depending on the size of your roof, you may not even need to have a seam.

In your case, you'd demo the roofing and make sure the decking was solid and flat. 3/4 plywood is plenty. followed by a layer of something softer like 1/2 biltrite or buffalo board...that is the layer they have screwed down in the video calling it insulation with those large washers you see. You can glue it down with contact cement like the video, or use a latex adhesive that is even easier to use.

Firestone EPDM Adhered System - YouTube

Once the rubber is down lay some wood "sleepers" on the rubber and install your decking. Attach the deck at the house wall so it doesn't slide off the roof.

I think a cat would have to try pretty hard to put a hole in the rubber, its tough stuff. But its also easy to patch if you need to.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

What's with the Xmas lights still up? :)

That's what you get for posting pics...we get to be critics!

rbh

Fleet Admiral

What's with the Xmas lights still up? :)

That's what you get for posting pics...we get to be critics!

There was still a foot and a half of snow up there 2 weeks ago, and besides they are a PITA to put away, dang leds crap out every time we do it.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Waiting for more information but,

If your 24 OC joists are treated lumber and in good shape some blocking (or bridging) between the joists can make it almost as sturdy as 16 OC without them.

For the decking I would use PT lumber or one of the composites on the market.

Full glue down rubber roof is a 25 year solution. Half lap full glue roll roll roofing or hot torch down is you second and third best choices with torch down being 2 and the roll roofing 3.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Waiting for more information but,

If your 24 OC joists are treated lumber and in good shape some blocking (or bridging) between the joists can make it almost as sturdy as 16 OC without them.

For the decking I would use PT lumber or one of the composites on the market.

Full glue down rubber roof is a 25 year solution. Half lap full glue roll roll roofing or hot torch down is you second and third best choices with torch down being 2 and the roll roofing 3.

Both the floor and the roof will be done 16" on center, 3/4 inch T+G plywood (one side good).
Floor and roof to be primed and painted for extra piece of mind and the t+g groove sealed with a bead of silicone.
Its just the porch floor I need to figure out what will be best, thats where the duradeck comes in.

The roof will be role on roofing tared down around the edges and seams.
(For now, may turn into a deck when I get the upstairs turned into the master suite and install a sliding door)