old johnson single cylinder ID help needed

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just got this motor. numbers are J 70, 218856. I think it might be a 1927-29 but not sure. would like hp info and anything else you might know. missing the rope pull on flywheel. has 4 small tapped holes on flywheel like maybe size 10, I might have to use a jaw type puller, not sure about using screws that small. motor is froze but maybe it just needs a little persuassion to turn. as usual any help appreciated, thanks, ron

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: old johnson single cylinder ID help needed

J-70 B&S are 2"x1.5", Uses Champion C7 plug.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

My manuals are showing a D9J gapped to 030. Not sure how that compares off hand to a C7 (now a D16 updated number)

1/2 pint of oil per gallon. 020 point gap.

Cool little motor. Post a pic if you can.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

You can also mix some Acetone and ATF 50:50 and try that in the cyl to break it loose.

airman1094

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you got a chance to look inside the cylinder? I've heard of dirt and bugs getting up in them depending on where the piston is sitting! I worked on a couple 20s era outboards that had some dust and some dead bugs in there! Blew out the chamber with air compressor (since it was sitting with the ports exposed and used CLP and some Lucas oil. Few hours of soaking did the trick! I used wd40 in the crankcase of my most recent fix to free it up!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The C7 plug recommendation came from the 1964 edition of Johnson Service Manual. The D9J may be a later recommendation.

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

1934 johnson 1.4 hp, J-70 001 (Small).jpg Okay here is a pic, I also picked up a 1956 sea king 5, which you might have seen on ebay. can't seem to stop buying motors.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Looks nice!

There may be something wrong with you. What kind of a weirdo collects antique outboards. Thats what my wife asks me daily anyways.

ronboonville

Petty Officer 1st Class

I really only told her I bought one, and I said that it was for her grandson to work on. uuuuuuhhhhhh,