1975 Crestliner "Muskie" 775 - A New Project

avpaulb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Felt the need for something a bit bigger, so here we go again!

P1030789.jpg
P1030790.jpg
P1030791.jpg
P1030794.jpg

Seems to be a pretty rare boat. Very little info online. Pretty cool though.

All told in pretty amazing condition. Floor is solid, transom looks good, no major dings or dents, and literally everything works! But, as with any boat this age, there is always something...

I have a small list of items to start with...

avpaulb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1975 Crestliner "Muskie" 775 - A New Project

The glass on the boat is in great shape, BUT...

P1030778.jpg

P1030779.jpg

P1030780.jpg

As you can see, the middle section just does NOT close. Doesn't fit at all! I can't figure out if the glass was replaced at some point, and it was just wrong. Who knows?

... also ...

avpaulb

Petty Officer 1st Class

More of a mechanical question, but hey since we're here...

P1030783.jpg

P1030784.jpg

P1030785.jpg

That is how far you have to throttle forward (and backwards) to get a throttle response. Cabling adjustment of some sort?

Also...

P1030755.jpg

Three button tilt control. You have to hold the middle button and press either up or down to engage the tilt. It works great, but I'm wondering if I can change out the throttle control to throttle with tilt on it? It would probably also be helpful to know that the motor and outdrive are Mercruiser of the same vintage as the boat. The infamous "pre alpha one". (I know it isn't an alpha 1).

I have more cosmetic and other items, but this should be a good start!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The glass on the boat is in great shape, BUT...

View attachment 187701

View attachment 187702

View attachment 187703

As you can see, the middle section just does NOT close. Doesn't fit at all! I can't figure out if the glass was replaced at some point, and it was just wrong. Who knows?

... also ...

I'm thinkin' your deck and stringers aren't as solid as you would like to think they are.

The middle glass not closing on a walk-thru is a sure sign of a weakend deck and stringers. I'm pretty sure that is the correct glass in there because it almost fits at the bottom, but the big overlap up top is the big giveaway for bad things below deck.

This is one of the first things to look for when purchasing any W/T and we see a lot of it in the resto forum here.

avpaulb

Petty Officer 1st Class

That actually was my first thought. Hard to say. The deck is rock solid. I was able to shoot some pics from the bilge and everything LOOKS pretty good. Also pulled back a section of carpet to reveal the deck. Again... LOOKED ok.

I've stared at it for a couple of hours now. The side glass on both sides are level with each other.

We'll see. As I start looking at things further I'll be posting more pics. It looks like the lid of this thing should pop off fairly easily, so a deck and stringer repair would certainly be possible. (My wife might kill me, oh well)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The top of the glass overlapping more than the bottom indicates hull and deck sag:
crestlinermuskiepaint_zps9785301e.jpg

If your decking looks good, it may be because you have more than one layer of decking. "Double decking" is a common fix for lazy previous owners and we see a lot of that on here too. They just throw new plywood over the old rotten decking and call it good with new carpet. This is either done to get a couple of more seasons out of the boat or for a quick sale, it's a slovenly fix and should be a crime punishable by public stoning.

avpaulb

Petty Officer 1st Class

It certainly warrants a check. I'm going to have a closer look after work. I would mention that I can see the deck on the stringers from the engine compartment. No double deck.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What's the measurement between the two frames @ the top and bottom? In Pic # 2 of post 1 it appears the passenger console has a slight slope to it. She's 38 years old and if she's been outside, uncovered, exposed to the elements the glass can deteriorate and warp and cause all kinds of issues. If the deck is solid and flat (Have you checked for flatness, no valley) between the consoles and the middle frame is square then I'd bet the console has distorted.

avpaulb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will post pics of the dimensions later. The glass frame itself and the opening are both trapezoidal (thinner on top). I will also get a good strait board and check for deck flatness. Without having done that yet, I'd say pretty darn flat. We'll see...

newt5005

Seaman

My grandfather-in-law bought one of these new, in 73. Has upholstered back to back seats, once recovered about 10 years ago. He's been gone for several years now but the boat is still in the family and currently live in Las Vegas. Has the same powerplant, Mercruser 165, and throttle system. Runs strong although it's now time for a new linkage (go figure) as reverse is a little hard to get into.
Other than that, a sound boat. It' been in waters from Northen Ca, to Lake Mead and Powell. I love the drive train as you can't hear or feel the engine, when at idle.
Have fun, it will be great to have when finished.

mike

avpaulb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Mike. I'm pretty excited myself. I picked it up from the original owner. Older gent who just couldn't use it anymore. And, like your grandfather, used it all over. We have some big water up here so I can't wait to see what it can do.

It's fully functional right now. My plan is to make sure the structural and mechanical aspects are solid. If so use it all summer and slowly work on some of the cosmetic flaws as I go. We'll see!

avpaulb

Petty Officer 1st Class

What's the measurement between the two frames @ the top and bottom? In Pic # 2 of post 1 it appears the passenger console has a slight slope to it. She's 38 years old and if she's been outside, uncovered, exposed to the elements the glass can deteriorate and warp and cause all kinds of issues. If the deck is solid and flat (Have you checked for flatness, no valley) between the consoles and the middle frame is square then I'd bet the console has distorted.

17 1/8 at bottom of frame (ish)

14 1/8 at top of frame (ish)

Each console is 21 1/2 from the floor

P1030796.jpg

P1030797.jpg

P1030801.jpg

There is in fact a slight dip between the consoles, looks like about 1/2 - 3/4". Further forward it levels back out.

P1030798.jpg

P1030800.jpg

fishrdan

Admiral

Looks like the console(s) center support isn't permanently attached to the floor (just screwed in) so you could jack up the center support to where the windshield closes properly, shim it, then screw it back down again. Shim it with something that won't rot....

For the remote control, check to see if the carb opens completely when it's in full forward and reverse. The handle of the shifter can be clocked in different positions, so it's possible someone put the handle back on where it doesn't seem "right". Where is the remote control handle's positioned when it's in neutral, straight up, leaning forward, back? I had that style of remote control (still do in a box) and I seem to remember it taking a lot of travel before the carb started opening. I replaced it with a Mercury 4000 remote control, with the built-in trim button, but I also had to replace the control cables with the newer "GenI II" cables. There are aftermarket remote controls that have the trim button built into the handle, that will work with the old style cables, Teleflex, Uflex.

Being that this boat is new to you, what preventative maintenance has been done to it recently?

avpaulb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Being that this boat is new to you, what preventative maintenance has been done to it recently?

As far as I can tell, none whatsoever. Most of what has been done has been cosmetic. I am going to be removing the carpet to get a closer look at the wood situation. I suspect it was redone at some point. The previous owner claimed to have stored it inside for the many years he had it, and I'm inclined to agree given it's condition.

Any suggestions as to how I might get beneath deck to "shim" that center section without just having to rip the entire thing apart?

Anyway, I'll know a bit more in the next couple of days. I'm probably going to do a little below deck exploring with a camera to see if I can get a closer look!

Regarding the throttle lever: straight up is neutral. I'll check out the other options as well.

fishrdan

Admiral

Boat's that age are prone to deck rot, but being stored inside all it's life, possibly not. Unless there are soft spots, I would assume the latter.

I was talking about shimming between the deck and the console's foot (foot for lack of a better term), as it looks like the foot of the console is screwed to the deck. Raising up the console 1/2 to 3/4" in the center (possibly more......) could align the windshield again.

As for preventative maintenance, water pump impeller, bellows, gear lube, oil, filters, carb, belt, etc., etc.??? (Head over to the Mercruiser forum... ;) )

avpaulb

Petty Officer 1st Class

As for preventative maintenance, water pump impeller, bellows, gear lube, oil, filters, carb, belt, etc., etc.??? (Head over to the Mercruiser forum... ;) )

WELL, since I'm not much of a mech head, I'm probably going to take it to a boat mech. Belt looks new, plugs need replaced, oil clean and new, going to have the carb looked at, etc.

I'd look at some of those things myself, but I'd rather have a pro handle it the first time.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

17 1/8 at bottom of frame (ish)

14 1/8 at top of frame (ish)

Each console is 21 1/2 from the floor

View attachment 188000

View attachment 188001

View attachment 188004

There is in fact a slight dip between the consoles, looks like about 1/2 - 3/4". Further forward it levels back out.

View attachment 188002

View attachment 188003

These findings should be screaming below deck rot in your ears... even if you are in denial.

Shimming between your deck and console base will be a slovenly fix and will just be treating a symptom and not curing the cause, it'll also just be a temporary fix as you'll have to continue to add shims as your boat continues to rot, weaken, and sag in the middle... but it will show just exactly how much your boat has weakened and sagged.

fishrdan

Admiral

I seriously doubt a 40 year old piece of 1/2" plywood covered on top with a thin layer of fiberglass is going to be in "perfect" condition.

To set JnG's mind at ease, you can drill some 1/8-1/4" holes in the deck to see if the shavings come out as clean wood shavings or dark rotting wood. Seal the holes back up with 5200. Take a hammer and pound all over the deck and see if you find anything that sounds hollow and jump on the deck to look for soft spots. If you find evidence of rot, that needs to be addressed. Could be as easy as replacing a small section of the deck or difficult as stripping it down to a bare hull and rebuilding the whole thing.

And for shimming the console............................... Even if the OP ripped out the decks and re-doig everything, it's quite possible that the console will need shimming to align the windshield.....

avpaulb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, to set both of your minds at ease:

The previous owner had built in some storage boxes and pedestal seats. Just got that all removed. I was in the process of peeling back the carpet before our lovely weather interrupted me. But, I'll be able to see decking today.

I can already see that the bow portion of the deck, in between the consoles has an additional 1/2 or 3/4" piece of ply under it. (I think this is supposed to be there?). There is an aluminum trim strip to connect the bow to the main deck that has a 1/2" drop in it. Seems like it was meant to be...

I'll have more pics later as I start digging in. I'm waiting for my garage to empty out to move indoors.

jmmacky

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice looking boat av. Got my fingers crossed for you that she's sound below deck and you will just have an easy window realignment on your hands! I think you're right to take core samples though with a GRP boat of this age.