1989 Evinrude 50hp 15" shaft

loose rivet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been looking for a good running motor for a boat I've got here all winter, I came across a great running, super clean looking 1989 50hp Evinrude today, however, there's to issues, one its a 15" shaft, I need a 20", and second, the tilt ram has been cut off with a torch, the upper part is still hanging from the cross shaft.
The motor comes with controls, oil tank, and looks like new other than the butchered tilt ram.
First off, can this be converted to a long shaft? (I have a blown 1989 50hp long shaft here but also with a seized tilt ram and no lower unit.) If the lower unit from the short shaft can be made to work easily, I'll buy the tilt cylinder.

The motor is cheap, the guy needs cash and will let it go for $300 with the controls and tank. I figure I can get a new tilt ram for around $1500 used, a local dealer has a good one here.
The next best deal I've found is a completely rebuilt 1982 50hp at another dealer for $2750, but that motor looks to have seen lots of saltwater use.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Evinrude 50hp 15" shaft

Not sure if Evinrude made a lengthening mid section that you could buy for that engine. However, you could look up the model, year, HP specific numbers on here and see if they show a lengthened mid section for that engine. If so, you could either look at some boat/motor salvage yards for such an item. As far as the tilt option, I have no idea. And as far as the 1982 50 HP for $2750, that OB would have to look and run like brand new for such a price...at least in my thinking. I mean that engine is already 31 years old.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

yes go ahead every thing will fit perfect providing you change the swivel brackets over including the yoke .

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

yes go ahead every thing will fit perfect providing you change the swivel brackets over including the yoke
Not quite....the powerhead off the 15" will interchange onto your existing motor with no problem but to make lower unit work since your missing it, you will need to swap the 15" driveshaft to a 20" length along with the shift shaft. Also you may be able to swap your trim/tilt shaft into the other trim unit and make a complete unit.

durban

i once told my grandmother some thing , she replied , don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs , use your common sense .
it will all fit m8t

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs
The meaning of this phrase "Don't offer advice to someone who has more experience than oneself" you should take to heart as you cannot bolt a 15" lower unit to a 20" mid unless you install a 20" driveshaftshaft and shift shaft as there is 5" difference. Reread post as he want to make a 20" motor....geesh.

durban

most know that 15 inch is shorter than 20 inch its logic by changing the leg you have to change the shaft , that's why my grand mother said don't teach your grand mother some thing she all ready knows ,