Outdrive goes up and down but...

mrflip2

Seaman Apprentice
It wont go all the way up into trailer position. How to fix??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Outdrive goes up and down but...

Since my crystal ball is cracked and out of commission, could you just tell us which drive and year (and SN if you have it) you have so we can get you the information?
Thanks.

mrflip2

Seaman Apprentice

It wont go all the way up into trailer position. How to fix??

Sorry Don
It is a 1973 Jolly Roger 888 with a three button controller on dash. Sn label is missing but it has the lifting ring on the top of the outdrive

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

on the 3 button one you need to push the center and top buttons at the same time.

mrflip2

Seaman Apprentice

ive pushed both button at the same time and it only goes to a about a 45 degree angle. I see other boats at a approx 80 degree angle is this just wishful thinking or what. I can winch it with a strap up to the 80 degree angle but not with hydraulics.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Checked the fluid level in the pump reservoir?

Don S

ive pushed both button at the same time and it only goes to a about a 45 degree angle. I see other boats at a approx 80 degree angle is this just wishful thinking or what. I can winch it with a strap up to the 80 degree angle but not with hydraulics.

Does the motor stop running like a switch shut it off? Or does the motor keep running, it makes a different sound, but stops moving. If the latter, see achris's post above.

mrflip2

Seaman Apprentice

Does the motor stop running like a switch shut it off? Or does the motor keep running, it makes a different sound, but stops moving. If the latter, see achris's post above.

It goes to a higher pitch,continues to run. The oil level is good.

achris

It goes to a higher pitch,continues to run. The oil level is good.

Sounds like air, and a low fluid level. How did you check the oil level?

Just have to ask... Have you changed the rams or pump recently?

mrflip2

Seaman Apprentice

oil level is at plug. Bled system by bringing up and down approx 10 times. It goes up and down with no hesitation it just wont go into the trailer position ( or what ifeel is trailer position) The rams are two years old. They hold the outdrive up until I bring it down (i've left it up for three weeks without any dropping)

Don S

The rams are two years old.

Did they go up as far as the original rams when you first installed them?

achris

oil level is at plug. Bled system by bringing up and down approx 10 times. It goes up and down with no hesitation it just wont go into the trailer position ( or what ifeel is trailer position) The rams are two years old. They hold the outdrive up until I bring it down (i've left it up for three weeks without any dropping)

This is why I asked.... Did you fit EXACTLY the same rams? If you fitted later model rams, that's your problem. The early rams have less volume, and rely on a higher pressure to generate the force required. Later model rams are high volume, so the same force can be generated with less pressure (but need more oil to extend them the same distance). If you have the later (high volume) rams, and your pump is still the earlier model it will be running out of oil.....

Chris.......

mrflip2

Seaman Apprentice

Yep that is why it doesnt make sense. it just wont go into trailer position

Don S

Yep that is why it doesnt make sense. it just wont go into trailer position

"Yep" what? There was more than one question asked,

mrflip2

Seaman Apprentice

Well they look the same I used a 233 outdrives rams on the 888 with the 233 ram. The only difference was the trim sender that i bypassed, the old ram style not the ones on the side of the outdrive.

achris

Well they look the same I used a 233 outdrives rams on the 888 with the 233 ram. The only difference was the trim sender that i bypassed, the old ram style not the ones on the side of the outdrive.

Exactly how did you bypass it?

Also I have another question (already asked by Don, but not answered). Have the cylinders worked properly since these 233 rams were installed? Or has this been a problem since they were put on?

Chris........

mrflip2

Seaman Apprentice

Removed hydraulic lines and hooked wires together. The cylinders never worked properly this is why I replaced them with the 233.

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

have you tried testing the wires on the inside of the transom to see if there not broken or rotted through.you maybe able to connect together inboard for testing purposes.

achris

Removed hydraulic lines and hooked wires together. The cylinders never worked properly this is why I replaced them with the 233.

Have the 233 cylinders ever worked properly?

achris

have you tried testing the wires on the inside of the transom to see if there not broken or rotted through.you maybe able to connect together inboard for testing purposes.

Electrically it works, we have a hydraulic problem.