Repainting the gas tank

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer
image.jpg

This Gas tank has seen better days. It works good but when full it leaks a bit from the top where the fuel hose gets plugged in. Also the gauge doesn't work. Nothing that bothers me. I was wondering if it would be safe to sand it out and re-paint the tank with fresh coat of paint?

Thanks
Zipp

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Repainting the gas tank

Yes you can sand and repaint.

You can also get a new cork gasket for the cap, and a new gasket for the connection side.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I did mine a few years ago and now I'm having trouble with the paint (Rustoleum spray) blistering up if I spill gas on it and don't wipe it off right away. But that's because I didn't prepare the surface properly. As I recall, I didn't remove all the old paint, I just sanded and re-sprayed. This time I plan to strip all the old paint off first.

If you remove all the current paint, make sure you prime correctly using an etching primer (zinc chromate). You can also clear coat your finished paint for added protection.

Good suggestions here: http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/gasoline-resistant-paint-metal-gas-tank-587686.html

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

That is what I was thinking of douing, sand it all, replace the cork gasket for the cap, prime, paint, and then clear coat with automotive clear coat which is prety tough if you use hardner with it.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

For some reason, I used some flat cork stock to cut my own top gasket when I painted. I can't remember if the part wasn't available or I just had the cork, so thought I'd make it myself. At any rate, it works fine.

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

I am still having issues finding the parts that I may need. If I cand get them I may end up douing the same thing as you did

gm280

Supreme Mariner

You could also fine some gasket material at most automotive parts stores to make your own gaskets. And as far as painting a fuel tank. Once you get the paint sanded down like you like and ready to paint, PRIME it first! And if you want it to last for years and years use a Catalyst (hardener added) primer too. Then try to purchase urethane automotive paints for the actual color paint. There are so many colors available to get the exact color you like. THEN spray a few clear coats of Catalyst (hardener added) top clear coats over the paint. You will never have to again worry about any paint bubbling because you spilled fuel on the finish. Just make very sure that all the primer, color paint and top clear coats are compatible with each other to not have any problems. Sound like a lot of work for a simple fuel tank, but it will look like brand new and last for a looonnnngggg time too...

zippy83

Chief Petty Officer

That is what I ended up douing. It was messy at first but I managed to cut it at the right size. I also noticed that the cork inside the tank that meassures how much fuel is in the tank is bad. It dosent float anymore so I get him replaced. I will post some pictures when I get it all done.