tunnel hull

dhughes49

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just sold my old boat and looking for a new/old boat . I need some help about tunnel hulls . I fish port o conner tx . I have access to marsh to bay to nearshore rigs. My question is ...would a tunnel hull be suitable to go to near shore rigs on days that are 3' seas or less ?

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: tunnel hull

Do you really mean a Tunnel Hull? (1 tunnel inside of 2 Sponsons)
And not a Tri Hull Or Cathedral Hull? (2 tunnels/3 hulls)

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

104_7073.jpg100_6190.jpg100_6066.jpg104_7006.jpg

This is a small tunnel, go-fast boat. Notice the size of the tunnel compared to the hull. It is good in light chop and small wakes (see the photo) but in heavy wakes--beware. Probably the same for larger tunnels: Above a certain height, waves will be too much for it.

Looking at the photos, did you really mean a tunnel or did you mean a catamaran? Two different animals. A cat will be like two deep vee hulls joined by a center deck with a much larger center opening or "tunnel" The cat can handle heavier seas.

Be aware that both cats and tunnel hulls have a deeper draft off plane than deep vee hulls. (generally speaking)

southkogs

Staff member

Just sold my old boat and looking for a new/old boat . I need some help about tunnel hulls . I fish port o conner tx . I have access to marsh to bay to nearshore rigs. My question is ...would a tunnel hull be suitable to go to near shore rigs on days that are 3' seas or less ?
I've got no experience on 'em, but several charters use a CAT down on the gulf in the Grayton Beach, FL area when I go down each year. The dude I use has a V hull CC, but those CATs seem to do just fine.

sasto

Captain

My Penn Yan tunnel hull......and yes, I have been in seas greater than 3'.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Bacc xsom.jpg
    Bacc xsom.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 0

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

You're better off asking this question on the boating forum over at 2coolfishing, as they are more specialized in flats boats. Tunnels mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people, ranging from full-tunnel pickle-fork boats and catamarans, to little 2-3' pocket tunnels that really don't do much for running shallow. What you are looking for is a monohull with a 5-6' tunnel, or a shallow-tunnel cat made for running in flats.

If you tend to fish bays and slightly offshore quite often, then something like a Kenner bay boat with tunnel would probably suit you. If you plan on getting into the really shallow backwaters along the ICW, then maybe something like a Flatscat would be better, while still handling three-footers on occasion.

A good custom tunnel prop will work wonders for any tunnel-equipped flats boat.

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

The Captn next to me when I chartered had a Penn Yan- made in NY. It was a 22' or 23' tunnel hull cuddy cabin. He fished Lake Erie hard up to 5' ers. No problems according to him. I had a 17' McKee Backwater that had a tunnel hull and mostly fished the creeks, rivers, and ICW. At just 17' and came in from 8 miles or so in 3'ers-- bumpy and wet but not a handling problem.

sasto

Captain

Probably the same as mine at 23', Crabby Capt'n. They were very popular charter boats up that way. With an inboard and very little rudder, following seas in a tight spot.....like an inlet....can get harry. Hey, dhughes. How about a pic of what you are looking at?