Telescoping up and down hard top

pcrg28328

Seaman
My boat has a bimini top full enclosure on it. It is old, leaks, and is at it's last use. I really want to add a hard top but my boat garage will not allow it. When I was a kid in the 70's my grandparents had a 24ish' trihull (they always called it a pontoon boat but it didnt have aluminum pontoons but rather 3 molded fiberglass hulls and the interior looked just like one)with a 55 seaking with a telescoping canvas top. It covered the entire boat except 2' or so on the bow and stern. It had 1.5" fixed aluminum pole lengths that would snap into place at 8 locations around the gunwales 4 on each side. It raised the top to about 3 feet over your head so to a total of about 8 feet tall from the deck. I was kinda thinking of the same thing but instead of using individual poles that you have to put into place every time. Since my top will not be for standing on, only a shade and weigh about 50-75 lbs. I was thinking of push button telescoping poles like these. Premier 4-Feet to 8-Feet Fiberglass and Aluminum Tab Lock Push Button Extension Pole 83048 - Amazon.com
They extend from 4 to 8 feet so that would be perfect. 1.5" diameter. I could stoop down go under the top and raise it up 1 corner at a time after boat launch then put it down when its time to trailer home or if its storming while on the hook. What do you guys think?
By the way i would probably use 4 of these on a 6x4 top.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Telescoping up and down hard top

1.5" diameter.

Ayuh,... At it's widest plastic point,....

It's a telescopic Broom-handle....

I donno's it'll be nearly stout enough...