Southwind 19 ft 460 big block starter motor problem

Black as

Chief Petty Officer
Hi Guys
I'm in the process of purchasing a 1979 Southwind 19 ft 460 big block with panther jet pack the person I'm buying it off is doing a complete service before I pick it up and all of a sudden has come across a problem with the starter motor. He purchased a new starter motor last night and the problem he is having is you can hit the key a half a dozen times but will connect with the flywheel once. He pulled the starter out did a bench test and all works fine.

Any thoughts on this, your assistance will be greatly be appreciated

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Southwind 19 ft 460 big block starter motor problem

Hi Guys
I'm in the process of purchasing a 1979 Southwind 19 ft 460 big block with panther jet pack the person I'm buying it off is doing a complete service before I pick it up and all of a sudden has come across a problem with the starter motor. He purchased a new starter motor last night and the problem he is having is you can hit the key a half a dozen times but will connect with the flywheel once. He pulled the starter out did a bench test and all works fine.

Any thoughts on this, your assistance will be greatly be appreciated

Ayuh,... Reconsider yer purchase,... The 460 Ford is the least supported motor ever put in a boat....

Capt Ken

Commander

With starter off, check the ring gear teeth on the flywheel.

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

With starter off, check the ring gear teeth on the flywheel.

We fixed it we removed the head off the old starter motor and refitted it to the new one and it starts each and every time, they must have different throw out lengths

Black as

Chief Petty Officer

Ayuh,... Reconsider yer purchase,... The 460 Ford is the least supported motor ever put in a boat....

Hi Bondo. this motor has 40 hours on the clock and the owner has showed me all the paper work when the motor was refurbished , it has twin 750 double pumpers. high rise polished inlet manifolds, mild scat cam with basset headers, scat crank shaft and so on..... I will probably pass away before the boat does but she performs very well on the water with 550 Hp