water testing a Wellcraft on saturday and have a few ?'s

QuietRider21

Seaman
hey guys,
I left a deposit on a 94 Wellcraft Eclipse 210sc which i will be test running this weekend. It was an older gentlemans boat which the marina is selling for him. The motor is a 5.0 220hp mercruiser. Approx how many mph's should a 'healthy' 5.0 push this boat at WOT? i plan to bring a gps. I'm also finding conflicting info regarding the weight of this boat. The marina had a book that lists all make & model boats and thier specs. This book had it listed 2610lbs, which NADA has as well, but iboats & some other site has it listed at 3100lbs. Substantial difference..Dont know which is accurate!?
thanks in advance
pic of boat attached below

Attachments

• wellcraft modified.jpg
    wellcraft modified.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 0

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: water testing a Wellcraft on saturday and have a few ?'s

First question... the 5.0... is that a Ford/OMC, or is it a GM / Volvo-Penta or Mercruiser?

If it's the former, I'd pass. Obsolete engine.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

its a Mercruiser

Then you're in luck. If it were a Volvo-Penta in that boat, looks like it'd be a Ford engine. I assume you've looked here?

Bowrider Fishing Boat | resources | Wellcraft

Open the first one in the 1994 list... C_PIG_210_SC_1994.jpg

I assume that's the boat you're going to see. Wellcraft lists the dry weight at 3170 lbs.

QuietRider21

Seaman

thanks for the tips and link...the dryweight of 3170 is actually 30lbs over my trailers capacity..real bummer.The boat is being sold without trailer. i happen to have a nice aluminum single axle that i thought would have worked... Ya know, if NADA isnt going to provide accurate info, then they shouldnt provide ANY. their info was 560lbs off. Stick to cars or something
anyway, i either have to find a bigger trailer or back out of deal..darn

jumpjets

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a 1990 Wellcraft Eclipse 216 with a merc 5.7L.

I have touched 50mph with mine, and I can reliably get 46mph any day of the week. I've heard that the 454 equipped eclipses can touch 60mph. With a 5.0 though, I imagine it being a bit of a dog. It's a heavy, robust boat. Ensure the trim is in good working order. The bow of these boats really wants to sky itself on acceleration.

My boat weighed in at 3600lbs on a truck scale (I subtracted the weight of the trailer), but that was with tools, 1/2 tank of fuel, and a little gear on board.

calvinator

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had the same boat last year, but it was a 1995 with 240 HP 5.8 Ford and Volvo Penta SX drive. I was in the high 40s with a 4 blade 19 pitch prop trimmed out.

Here is the info from Wellcraft's site:
Bowrider Fishing Boat | resources | Wellcraft

Find your specs for 210SC. Says weight is 3170

My favorite boat I've owned.

Get a tub of Aqua-Buff and that will shine right up.

If it has trim tabs that is a bonus. If not, consider getting them. That boat cruises nice at 20mph, but has a lot of bow rise at that speed. I never found the right trim for that boat at that speed, but tabs just made the problem go away.

Also watch high speed and crossing boat wakes/waves. I found that boat has a light bow weight and likes to jump out of the water ! ! ! There was a Youtube vid of a guy wave jumping his Eclipse, getting 2-4 feet out of the water !

but if it is not rotted out, that is a nice run-about boat.