1992 Evinrude slop in steering

bakerjw

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good day to all. I did a search and was unable to find any quick information on potential adjustments.

I just picked up a 1992 Stratos 1850 center console boat that has an Evinrude 150.
I am going through the boat with a fine tooth comb as it needs some TLC to get it into reliable condition.
One thing that I've come across is some slop in the mechanical steering. The slop is not at the motor connection, but rather appears to be in the wheel assembly. I know that it is not a lot to go on, but I didn't get any manuals or documentation with the boat so I'm winging it.

I am assuming that the steering assembly came with the boat.

First question. Is there any way to adjust the backlash in a typical mechanical steering assembly?

I'll be under the console again this evening and I'll try to identify it better.
All help is appreciated.
Thanks
John

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 Evinrude slop in steering

Even brand new, marine single cable steering systems do seem to have some slop in them. I've personally installed both a new rack system and a new rotary. I found the rotary to have a bit less slop. There is no adjustment. Assuming you have a single cable system, an entire new system replacement is only a little over a $100.

bakerjw

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do those normally include the wheel with it's mounting assemble all the way back to the motor?
Are the manufacturer specific or pretty generic?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The rotary system I got did. I got it from here: Uflex ROTECH Kits (you won't beat the price). However, the wheels are pretty universal if you get a system that doesn't come with one.