West System and Varnish questions

JSGAuto

Cadet
Hi,<br />I am begining the reassembly of the Ula Kai (vintage hydroplane). I have heard that the West System is the best epoxies to work with. I have never worked with an epoxy before. I was looking over the manufatures website to purchase a bit of the resin and hardner to practice with on some cheap ply. I saw that the manufature offered a few publications about woring with the epoxies. "Wooden Boat Restoration & Repair" a book, and a video "WEST SYSTEM Epoxy Basic Application Techniques". Are these publications worth buying? <br />I was looking at the different harners that are offered I would like a slower curing epoxy so that I have time to work. The slow hardner, 206, cures in 20 minutes, and the extra slow, 209 cures in 40 minutes. Which hardner is the easiest to work with? <br />I am currently rebuilding the boat in an unheated garage (I live in Jersey) would the cold temperatures cause the epoxy to cure incorrectly? Should I just wait until spring?<br />Also, what is the best type and brand of varnish to use on the boat?<br />Finally, any tricks and tips with working with this stuff would be greatly appretiated!<br /><br />Thank you!!<br />Jim

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer
Re: West System and Varnish questions

Although most of the epoxies will say that they "can" work to 50 degrees, you'll find that 65-70 is about as low as you want to go. In my experience the swing in cure times, pot life, etc almost doubles with the drop from 75-65 degrees. Below 70 I've found that viscosity thickens, it's harder to wet out, and has more of a tendency to run once it fires. <br /><br />West System is good stuff, albeit pricey.I'd stay away from the extra slow in lower temps, as that's probably like 4 days to cure. Might want to take a look at US Composites in addition for materials. With your owning a hydro, they're selling kevlars and carbons that you might find appealing.<br /><br />Are you looking to varnish over epoxy?? <br /><br />Regards,<br />Roger

crab bait

Captain
Re: West System and Varnish questions

yes the book & vhs are worth it... knowledge is priceless..<br /><br />get heat or wait for spring.. <br /><br />west systems is not the best or the easiest... they are the most advertised & avaliable.. <br /><br />the best varnish,hands down, is epifannes.. just pick up it & them an shake the cans... you'll tell the differance rite off... more soilds by a longshot..