Sticking needle?

Steve73

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All,
Would a sticking needle in the carb create flooding on a 55hp 2 stroke motor once it is warm or just at start up? Just trying to pinpoint an issue I am dealing with engine flooding at start up....runs great when warm.....choke works fine (checked at the engine)....and have also tried starting with minimal choke.
Thanks for any info,
Steve

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sticking needle?

You're not really pinning down the explanation of the problem you're having...........

If you're saying that fuel actually flows out of the carburetor at any time...... remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor.

are you asking if a engine thats hard to start when cold but easy to start when warm is caused by a sticking needle in the carb then theres realy not enoght info to ans that. if the needle is not seating you will see gas in the throat of the carb when you pump the bulb or it will run out the side of the carb and bulb will not get stiff. how do you know its flooding on cold start....are the plugs wet?

Steve73

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info guys. Model is a 55E79. I have recently changed the plugs. I know it is flooding as when I initially start it it runs for about 10 seconds with the warm up lever up. Then the motor stalls, and takes about another 10 tries before it holds idle. Lots of smoke at this point. I can trick it a little by starting cold....before it floods out hit the throttle enough to open the throttle valve to stop from stalling. The choke valve is wide open at this point.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

That model number does not exist in any of my books, however if the engine was a 1979 55hp ,it would have two carburetors.

If you're sure the carburetor(s) is flooding... clean and rebuild them.

have you drained the water out of the carb bowls. bottom of the carbs is a drain screw remove and collect the gas that comes out then refit and pump the bulb back up. if the bulb doesnt get hard or no gas comes out of the drain screw then stop and rebuild the carbs. if it doesnt fix the problem then rebuild the carbs anyway as its a good cheap idea to remove alot of possible problems.