Exhaust Manifold Question

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm just curious. Why do I/O setups use watercooled manifold? is there anyway of installing car type manifold?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Exhaust Manifold Question

I'm just curious. Why do I/O setups use watercooled manifold? is there anyway of installing car type manifold?

Ayuh,... 'cause glowin' red hot 1200? cast iron under a motor hatch is a fire hazard...

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

Ayuh,... 'cause glowin' red hot 1200? cast iron under a motor hatch is a fire hazard...

But 1200 degrees is great for cooking hamburgs and hot dogs while you are cruising. :lol:

Bulbash

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry if that is a stupid question, but how come it works in the car and doesn't in the boat?

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm guessing it is because of accessibility. Trying to put a radiator at the front of the boat, then routing lines back to the engine....or use what is environmentally accessible, the water the boat is sitting in.

tpenfield

Staff member

Sorry if that is a stupid question, but how come it works in the car and doesn't in the boat?

Automobiles have an ample supply of air going by the engine to cool things. boats do not . . . automobiles do not allow fumes to get trapped in the engine compartment . . . boats do.

Therefore boat engine systems are designed to avoid excessive forms of heat, whereas automobile systems do not require such heat avoidance.

Hoosmatroos

Petty Officer 1st Class

But the reason is more like the car has the manifold and muffler in the open air under the car.