Fuel/water separator mounted horizontaly

bart98stang

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Greetings,

I have a VJ115TLETS with 13"x19 pitch prop on a 19' 4" Sunbird Cuddy and yesterday while I was taking the boat out for a test run the engine ran pretty good on a couple of passes then it started to bog and wouldn't go above 3000 rpm or so and the engine would cut off and would hard to restart. I've read quite a few articles on where to start troubleshooting but I have a question that I didn't find the answer for. I have my fuel/water separator mounted horizontally vice vertical due to how the back of my boat is set up and I was wondering if this could be a factor in possibly the problem being a lack of fuel? The VRO is disconnected and I'm running on 50:1. Thanks and safe boating.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Fuel/water separator mounted horizontaly

The fuel/water seperator is to be mounted in a vertical position so all the water and crap in the fuel goes to the bottom of it.

Hoosmatroos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Please take a picture on how it's mounted. Normally the threads of the filter is on the upper side. If its on the side then it is wrong. Water is heavier then fuel so it sinks to the bottom of the filter. If it is mounted correctly then perhaps you need to check if there is water inside.

bart98stang

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. I moved it to a location where it is now mounted vertical. Will take it back out on the water today.

Randybeall

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hope you replaced the filter. If water was the problem, the paper of the filter element is now water soaked since it was horizontal, it will not pass gasoline once wet.