best way to protect a boat from the elements.

beanz2166

Petty Officer 3rd Class
we just rented a house, and the garage is too small to store the boat inside. meaning that now Until I find another option I will be storing my boat outside in the elements. It already has a cover on it that I bought off Iboats. but other then just covering it what other recommendations do you have to keep it "protected" during the summer rains and the occasional winter snows.

saumon

Lieutenant
Re: best way to protect a boat from the elements.

Being from NC, a regular boat cover is all you need. Up north where snow is more frequent you need a tarp over it with a framed support to withstand the weight of the snow.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

To protect trailer tires from sun damage, make or buy covers for them. Keep the boat waxed. Allow sufficient air flow under the cover to avoid mold/mildew buildup.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Depends on what you consider adequate protection. Before I owned my own house I rented a garage. To me there was value in that. I have never bought a second cover for any boat I ever owned because the first one has lasted till i sold the boat. I've never had a hull that needed refurbishing because it was faded or chalked. I've never had a trailer that had even one spot of rust on it from sitting out in the elements. My current family boat is going on it's 30th season and its in showroom condition.

Begester

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use a big tarp and make sure I have a way to crawl into the boat/cabin to check on it and get rid of any mildew that may accumulate over the winter. It also helps when the tree nearby starts dropping these flower looking things that leave yellow stains all over everything. Its much easier when its on a $30 tarp than my boat hull!

I also put plates of baking soda in the cabin, it soaks up moisture and keeps it a little bit more dry down in the cabin.