Only Trimming DOWN...but I hear the Trim engine run when I TRY to trim UP...

robins76jd

Recruit
So I just pulled my old '82 or '83 Mariner 150 off my old boat and put it on my 'new' used boat. In the process I had to transfer the seperate trim motor (it's an SAE J1171 Marine) over as well. Of course I had to unhook all the wires and hydrolic lines ect.

After connecting everyting to the new boat, I couldn't get any movement either up or down. Then I released the manual trim screw on the trim motor and muscled up the outboard and locked it in place with the engine mount locks. Then I tightened the manual trim screw back up, filled it with new hydrolic fluid and tried again. Well now I can get the o/b to trim down, but I can't get the motor to trim up. I can hear the trim motor running when I hit the switch, but no movement on my o/b.

So, I have connected a stand-alone rocker switch near the transom for easy trailering. Right now that switch is the ONLY switch connected to the trim motor. (I'll explain why in a minute) This switch worked perfectly on my old boat, but I can't figure out what I've done wrong. Three wires off that switch...Power(red), Up(blue -- I think), and Down(green -- I think). Then from the Trim motor I have two brown wires (both of which I believe to be ground) one blue and one purple(yeah...purple...why it's not green is beyond me) going to the o/b. So I have Blue on Blue and Green on Purple.

The new used boat had a Mercury o/b on it already, so my intentions are to just leave the helm controls alone and use them instead of my older controls. However, when I tied in the trim wires from the helm with (temporary) wirenuts using the same thought process from above, Blue/Blue & Green/Purple then either way I tried my rocker switch lowered my o/b. Up was down and Down was down. Very weird.

So, OBVIOUSLY I've screwed something up. Are there any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: