Fibreglass repair.. Basically i need your thoughts

y2j

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I had to grind out the gelcoat on my boat in various places to about the size of my fist this is because bubbles started appearing from osmosis, i ground until i reached the fibgreglass and ground a little more to roughen it up.. I was wondering if i can use the cloth which looks like a checkerboard blanket with west system epoxy and build up a layer or 2 then fair it out with poxy and later some west system thickener?<br /><br />Also im going to be doing my transom in a few days as health got to me and i couldn't start last month, basically i have rolls and rolls of chopped strand mat like hundreds of dollars worth which i got for free and i was wondering after i insert my plywood into the transom if i can build up the outer skin which i am re making .. with layer upon layer upon layer up until i get my required thickness of chopped strand mat then using 1 layer of cloth as a final layer.. or could i just put layer upon layer of chopped strand mat? I will be using polyester for my transom repair.. And then some thickened west system epoxy to fair out the outer skin at the very end?<br /><br />What do you guys think<br /><br />thanks<br /><br />I am using polyester resin for my transom repair..

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: Fibreglass repair.. Basically i need your thoughts

First of all, there is absolutely NO strength in resin itself..the resin/glass combination has to exceed 90% filler material for the resin to soak into for maximum strength. layers of cloth or mat are fine as long as all air is worked out between layers.<br />For filling in larger areas, use fiber-filled resin (Kitty hair) for build-ups.