SX-A Top Cover Clearance

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Trying to find the correct clearance for the top cover of my SX-A. The OEM service manual says "make sure correct shims are under cover" with no mention of what the correct shims are. I saw a different thread with clearance numbers for an SX drive but I'm not sure if it's identical.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: SX-A Top Cover Clearance

Using the picture below.

1. Measure in inches, depth of bearing seat in top cover. Save as measurement D.

2. Measure in inches, height of installed bearing above gear housing. Save as measurement E.

3. Subtract E from D. Add 0.005” to determine shim thickness.

Top cover shimming.jpg

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How do I measure those with enough accuracy so that .005" makes a difference?

Don S

Depth Micrometer

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks like an expensive one-time tool. Out of curiosity, if someone measured the clearance wrong and used the incorrect shims, what are the obvious signs? Noise, vibration, etc?

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I found a couple mechanical ones in the ~$50 range. From experience, is there anything wrong with using one of these? They are new with 0-4" range and .001" resolution.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Got my depth micrometer in the mail today. I found the D measurement of the old top cover to be .6155" and the new cover to be .616". Not sure of the specified tolerance range but it seems like the original shimming should be fine.

Don S

Got my depth micrometer in the mail today. I found the D measurement of the old top cover to be .6155" and the new cover to be .616". Not sure of the specified tolerance range but it seems like the original shimming should be fine.

Should be fine with the old shims. You were lucky. I have found them .010 from old to new.