Honda 150 oil leak

ffengine28

Cadet
I just re installed my lower unit as I have done many times and this time something was kinda tight going on. The lower unit did not slip on as easy so i used a wrench to bring it all the way up on. I immediatley noticed motor oil leaking from the water seal around the shift shaft at the top of the pivot arm. I removed the lower unit and the oil leak stopped. Any help on what I could have damaged? Apparently I bound something up.

Last edited:

ffengine28

Cadet
Re: Honda 150 oil leak

I just re installed my lower unit as I have done many times and this time something was kinda tight going on. The lower unit did not slip on as easy so i used a wrench to bring it all the way up on. I immediatley noticed motor oil leaking from the water seal around the shift shaft at the top of the pivot arm. I removed the lower unit and the oil leak stopped. Any help on what I could have damaged? Apparently I bound something up.

Found the answer. Apparently Honda is one of the manufacturers that has the shift shaft go in to the oil reservoir. I did not line up my shift shaft correctly and torqued the shift shaft and that allowed oil to leak out from the shift shaft seal.After reinstalling the lower unit correctly, it quit leaking. I am gonna test run it and keep an eye on it because changing that seal is a big job.