does this [riser?] look OK to you?

boataway

Petty Officer 2nd Class
looking at where the two pieces meet up, it kind of looks corroded a little. does it look OK to you guys? It's a fresh water boat. I've seen rust, then I've seen rust. Wondering which one this is...

photo (7).jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: does this [riser?] look OK to you?

Ayuh,... It Can't be inspected, til ya Pull the riser off....

It's the gasket sealin' surfaces that need lookin' at....

ken51k

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is just surface rust on the outside of the riser. This can be sanded and repainted. You need to give us more information, how old are the risers and is the boat used in fresh or salt water. Risers rot out from the inside.

boataway

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1997 fresh water, but it sat from about 2000 until 2011. it sound like the rust that I see is OK and if I had to worry about anything at all, it would be the interior condition.

I've read about how some owners (dads) replace the gaskets every couple of years or so. isn't this the gasket they're talking about? could a faulty gasket be what's causing that rust or am I OK until next year?

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the boat's specific history is unknown to you (ie. when was the last time the manifolds/risers were replaced, if EVER since 1997).
It would be wise to pull the riser, and check the gasket surfaces (as Bond-o mentioned earlier) as well as the water passages within the riser and manifold. You may luck out, and they're in good shape, in which case you only "lost" a few hours of your own time and a couple of new gaskets to go between the riser and manifolds (well worth it for peace of mind IMO). Otherwise, you will be looking at replacement - the 1999 Four Winns in my signature with ~330 hours had original manifolds/risers - Trust me, they were in need of replacement. The gasket surfaces were perfect, however they had a lot of rust inside and even the inlets to the manifolds were 50-70% plugged up.

Edit: haha, sorry Bond-o, fixed. Didn't have my coffee yet at the time. :D

Bondo

Staff member

If the boat's specific history is unknown to you (ie. when was the last time the manifolds/risers were replaced, if EVER since 1997).
It would be wise to pull the riser, and check the gasket surfaces (as Don mentioned earlier) as well as the water passages within the riser and manifold. You may luck out, and they're in good shape, in which case you only "lost" a few hours of your own time and a couple of new gaskets to go between the riser and manifolds (well worth it for peace of mind IMO). Otherwise, you will be looking at replacement - the 1999 Four Winns in my signature with ~330 hours had original manifolds/risers - Trust me, they were in need of replacement. The gasket surfaces were perfect, however they had a lot of rust inside and even the inlets to the manifolds were 50-70% plugged up.

Who,..?? :facepalm: :rolleyes:

boataway

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The gasket surfaces were perfect, however they had a lot of rust inside and even the inlets to the manifolds were 50-70% plugged up.

so if I go in and "have a look", and everything checks out, is there a chance that the gaskets would be OK to reuse or do I need to replace each time I take it off? I'm wondering whether I should go ahead and get a set before I even turn the first bolt.

Bondo

Staff member

so if I go in and "have a look", and everything checks out, is there a chance that the gaskets would be OK to reuse or do I need to replace each time I take it off? I'm wondering whether I should go ahead and get a set before I even turn the first bolt.

Ayuh,... Generally speakin', Gaskets are Never reused...

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm wondering whether I should go ahead and get a set before I even turn the first bolt.

Yep, order away so they are on-hand ready to install if the surfaces look good.

What bondo mentions is indeed the best practice to follow for gaskets, o-rings, etc.

Mark

mercrewser

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't horse around with manifolds and risers, you will end up ruining an engine. If it was only used in fresh water, i would leave it alone, it's probably fine.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Don't horse around with manifolds and risers, you will end up ruining an engine. If it was only used in fresh water, i would leave it alone, it's probably fine.

I second that. Don't worry about it.

h2odick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Who,..?? :facepalm: :rolleyes:
My apologies, fixed that for ya. :)

In the case of my sig boat, it was only a freshwater boat, purchased out of Arizona. The manifold and risers were wasted. I would not risk it, regardless of salt or freshwater usage. You need to establish a baseline, removing those risers and checking condition goes a long way for peace of mind in my eyes. Have replacement gaskets ready and pull the risers off, then take it from there. Just my 2 cents.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Never, ever, ever reuse gaskets, especially in such a critical area. They are all of $10 each and the risk is thousands of dollars worth of engine. Freshwater or salt, pull the elbows and check them.

Chris....

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Never, ever, ever reuse gaskets, especially in such a critical area. They are all of $10 each and the risk is thousands of dollars worth of engine. Freshwater or salt, pull the elbows and check them.

Chris....

^^^^^ #1 ^^^^^